Graphics Card Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Graphics Card Problem

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can help me with a real problem Im having with my system. Firstly, this problem is intermittent as in to say that it does not occur all the time. When I boot my system the graphics on the BIOS start up screen are warped...in fact there is even strange symbols amongst the start up text. After finally booting into windows 7 - if I try to begin any high graphic program the machine will crash and go to BSOD error. However, I can watch videos and browse the web for some time before this will inevitably will occur. I am thinking that either my graphics card is dead (Nvidia 8800 GTX)...but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to test this...

I do not want to buy a new graphics card to find out it was the motherboard for example!!.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
Indie

Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Graphics Card Problem

Hey Indie!

That sounds very like your GFX card.

Would you happen to have onboard video, or perhaps another GFX card?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unfortunately I don't have on-board graphics but I have done a little searching around on google (on my laptop) and there are lots off ppl with the same issues! Was such a good card as well I am sad to see it go!, i have just posted another thread about potential replacements for it - could you recommend me any? thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Not really, no. I'm not wise in the ways of GFX. Your other thread should give more of an idea for other members.