Graphics Card problem... 1 day left of warrenty- HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

none67

Solid State Member
Hey,

Ok, heres the deal, I have one day left on my retrun policy for my graphics card, and I'm having a problem.

I built my first computer about a month ago. Its the first time I've ever done this. It is (my be relavent?):

3200 AMD 64
ASUS A8N-E
1G of DDR 400 PC3200 ram
200G hard drive
400 watt PSU
ATI X550 graphic card

Ok heres the problem: for about the past two weeks my computer has been doing funny things. Whenever I try to enter the settings of the graphics card so change the 3D settings it hangs, the screen goes black and nothing happens. Also when I try to play a game with any kind of 3D graphics what-so-ever all kinds of lines appear all over everything.. looks like the movie "The Matrix" and then if the game has any kind of intense graphics it will hang before the graphic load(ONLY when the graphics load).

One last point: Sometimes the windows will have it over the images, but not often...

Is it the graphics card?
P.S- everything is running cool. 29*C for the CPU, 25*C for the mobo.

Thanks

Any input at all? I don't mean to rush, but I don't have much time to figure this out.

Anything will help.

Try another card and see if that works. If it does then send the x550 back before your warranty runs out.

Power requirements are 350W.

I don't really have that option, its the only graphics card I have.

Does this sound like somthing thats normal when a GC dies?

Well the card is not dead because you do have picture. It actually could be a number of things...not enough power to the card, actually could be a ram problem and not even a graphics card issue at all, defective graphics card. Since you do still have it on warrenty i would say call up ATI and talk to them and try to get a new card out of the deal. Since your pressed for time it would be difficult to try and figure out what is causing the problem. There are a lot of issues that could cause graphic lockups like that. I had a similar issue a few years back and it was actually caused when the computer was going to use memory on the 3rd stick of ram, there was conflict and it was locking everything up. But i would try and go for the new card i mean you do still have the warrenty they cant say $hit. Sorry for the weak response and sending you to the evil phone tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom