graphics card overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chutneybox

Beta member
I opened the PC to clean out the dust bunnies. took out the graphics card (didnt take the fan or heat sink off the card) , processor heat sink and cleaned them then put them back in. Also got the dust floating around the case.I put a hoover up to the back and sucked all the dust from the fans that was blocking the holes.

Now When i log on to play games, the temp skyrockets, it got up to 105 degrees before i logged out. Checked fans etc and all are spinning. It seems fine if i log in and look at a wall or just surf the net or youtube but soon as i log in and move around it rises fast. It has been working fine for over a year at least until i clceaned the pc :(

Its a BFG Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 OC

any ideas

Try reinstalling the drivers. If that doesn't work, nVidia offers a program that will let you adjust the clock speeds and fan speeds of the card. I have to do that with my BFG card.

It is actually very possible you broke the seal the grease once had. Your best bet is to clean the stuff off and re-apply a high quality paste.

Wow, spot on!! took the fan and heatsink off the card and replaced the paste. runs like a dream now. i dont know why it needed replacing as i never pulled the heatsink off before and i handled it gently but im not gonna complain..

Ty for the help guys this case is closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom