graphics card overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
I am putting together an old system for my parents for an xmas present. Most of the parts are from a Compaq 5wv280.

The card that was overheating was the nvidia vanta LT. I just now realized part of the problem could have been that the max resolution listed in the product specs for the card is 1280x1024 and I had it running somewhere around the 1900 by 1600 range... or something near there. I just tuned the computer on, and it let it idle for about 5-10min and the screen started to flicker. I touched the face of the gpu, and it was very very hot (was an open system just lying across the top of my desk). I could only hold my finger on it for a second before it started to burn. I don't currently have the time to try running it at the recommended resolutions, but would there be any cooling solutions for this card other than cutting a hole in the side panel of the case and install a fan to blow directly on it? Would I be able to jimmy-rig a heat sink of some sort onto it? I have a couple spare CPU HSF that I could use. (Maybe cut one down to fit the gpu a bit better)

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Much :)

Edit: I figure the screen flicker was due to gpu because i tried an ATI Rage gpu of sorts and it worked ok. I believe they are both 8mb ram, but the nvidia is AGPx4 and the ATI is AGPx2 so i figured the nvidia was the better of the 2 cards.

What do you mean you dont have time to Run it on the reccemended settings?You just right click anywhere on desktop,Properties for xp or Personalize for Vista,Then just click on display setting,And just set the bar to the correct res.It will probly never stop overheating unless its ran the way its supposed to be.Dont even waste time and money to keep it from overheating,just set the res,it will take less then a minute to see if thats the problem.

i meant i don't have time being as I had put it all together in a case sitting in my closet, and I was running out for a bit. I just got back not too long ago, but must go to bed as I have things to do early in the morning. I will set it up for the recommended settings, but would there be a way to cool it better? I may be able to get one of those tiny heat sinks that older GPU's have on them for free. How do they stay on the gpu though? I'm assuming an adhesive thermal paste of sorts. If I can't get that, any suggestions on how to get something for it out of spare parts? I've got a number of various spare HS lying around... just none designed for a GPU.

its the stock gpu from the Compaq 5WV280
Compaq 5wv280 stats page
Nvidia TNT2 8MB

this is printed on the card itself:
BTI ML - 1 [0041]
94V-0 e190991
Vanta LT 316903900001-R01

Printed on GPU:
nVidia
Vanta LT
k09119.01 0027B5
S Taiwan