Graphics card no longer being detected - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Graphics card no longer being detected

Hello, I am having problems with a ASUS GTX 670 2gb. I have only been using this card for 3 to 4 years with slight overclocking. Yesterday while I was playing a game (CS:GO) my computer shut off as if it had lost power and then tried to restart itself after a few seconds and seemed to go in a restart loop. I held the button down and found that I was getting no signal to my monitor but could tell I was booting into windows. I plugged into Intel integrated video and and my screen started working so I opened up device manager and only the integrated video was showing up under display adapters. I have swapped graphics cards with an older computer. I can't seem to get a signal from the 670 in the older build, while the old AMD 4870 that I put in my newer machine is working just fine. The fans on the 670 spin normally and 2 led lights next to the power connectors light up normally.
I called ASUS support and confirmed that the card is out of warranty. I'm not sure if the problem with the graphics card is something that could be easily troubleshooted on this forum and fixed, but I figured I would give it a shot before I go out and buy a new graphics card. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

narpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Graphics card no longer being detected

When was the last time you cleaned it?

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I blow the dust out of my computer and graphics card heat sink about every 6 months so I don't think that it overheated due to dust. I just replaced the thermal paste on the card and tried putting it back in and there was no change. The computer powered up for about a second and then restarted itself and booted into windows using the integrated graphics.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

It could still overheat if the dusting wasn't done properly. What's the PSU in the other machine?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The psu in the other computer that I tried the 670 in is a seasonic 620w m12II.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well that's not it then. Yup could be dead.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I may just try reflowing the GPU with a heat gun. I have done this to a PS3 before but I think it only lasted for a few days. I'm not sure if cracked solder under the GPU is likely to be the problem or not. I'm just afraid that If I over melt the solder or something the graphics card could damage my motherboard. Is this something I should be worried about?

Tags
670, graphics card, gtx, not detected