graphics card keeps freezing my computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmoussa87

Baseband Member
I just bought a replacement GPU for my system and most games seem to crash after less than a few minutes of play. The screen will just lock up and make this awful, distorted buzzing sound which forces me to reboot. I have updated all the video card drivers and I'm using direct x 9.0c since i'm still on XP32. I bought the GPU second hand off ebay but it is in virtually new condition, the seller stated this expicitly, and it was posted in an anti-static bag and original box. I really hope the card is not faulty and I don't want to accuse the seller of this until I am positive it is the problem. It is definitely not a PSU issue as the video card is a 7600GT which only uses 45 watts and requires a 300watt power supply, which I easily surpass those minimum requirements. I even refitted the card in the PCI-E slot and made sure it was all in place and secure, whilst obviously taking anti-static precautions. What is causing this? I just hope it is only hardware related. I would really appreciate quick replies as I need to get into contact with the seller promptly if there is a defect with the card.

First remove all your graphics drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro.

Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com

Then restart and install the latest set of driver from teh nvidia site for that card. Restart for the new drivers to take effect.

Download and install ATiTool.

ATITool - Overclocking utility for ATI and NVIDIA cards

This will help you keep a eye on the temps of the card. Then see what happens. If the temp gets to high and the system freezes then i would contact eBay. Sounds like the card is a lemon.

I'll do all those things and keep you posted. Appreciate your help. One thing I noticed is that the heatsink/fan on the GPU is plastic and quite small compared to conventional GPU fans, maybe it is a cheap heatsink as it is a generic brand. UT2004 worked flawlessly but once I started playing COD2 or FarCry the system crashed.

UPDATE - I took all those prescribed steps and then loaded COD2 and it still froze up. I just done a GPU temp test in Atitools and it is about 48C idle and goes up to about 70C on full load. I'll admit it is only a generic card and doesn't have the greatest heatsink but it should do its job and keep the card cool, i'm not going to overclock it. I doubt that the card is overheating because these temperatures are within acceptable parameters. I am going to thoroughly test the card on other 3D games that i have freshly installed, and maybe reinstall Farcry or COD2 because I was having problems with those two, but otehrs worked fine.

Unfortunately there is definitely a problem with the card. I just installed Q4 and it locked up after 10 mins. Now I gotta get a refund somehow, **** it!

Some cards are just duds. If its not over heating and the drivers are correct and there are no Compatibility issues, I would just take it back and exchange it.

Some cards are just duds. If its not over heating and the drivers are correct and there are no Compatibility issues, I would just take it back and exchange it.

Hence the need to take extra caution when buying second hand from ebay. Hopefully i won't have to threaten summoning a hitman if the seller refuses a refund!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom