Graphics card issues - Anything I can do to diagnose problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
I have an Nvidia Geforce 8800. I recently did a windows update which included an nvidia download, after which my computer would crash while running games. I figured it was the update and got the latest drivers as my current ones were from 2009. But still no luck, in the device managager I am getting a message 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)'

I also have a similar message on a SCSI/Raid Host controller (code 39) but I don't know if it is related. I tried doing a system restore to before I updated, but no luck. I tried installing an older driver and the message went away, but the computer now crashes shortly after any kind of graphics intensive activity ie games/movies. I now have the newest driver installed (I cannot rollback the driver as the option is greyed out) but still have this problem. I am also noticing graphics lag on simple things such as windows and mouse movement.

Is there any kind of software or procedures I can use to try and diagnose any problems with my graphics card? It would be nice to know if it is simply playing up due to poor drivers or if the graphics card has in fact had it. Then I could simply buy a new one and install it without having to pay someone just to tell me it need replacing.

Read this here first and see if it helps you abit:
Code 49

Error code 49 may be displayed if the system hive exceeds its maximum size and all new devices fail to work until this size is brought down:

Error Message:

“Windows cannot start new hardware devices because the system hive is too large (exceeds the Registry Size Limit). (Code 49)“The system hive is apart of the Windows registry and is associated with files that comprise configuration information related to applications, user preferences, and devices on your computer.

This problem usually occurs if the devices that are no longer connected or installed on your computer are listed in the system hive.

Solution

In order to fix this problem you will have to locate these no longer used hardware devices in Device Manager and then uninstall them. To do this, perform the following steps:

1.Click the Start button, select Run, type CMD in the Open box, and then click the OK button to display the Command Prompt window.
2.At the prompt, type the following and press Enter.
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
cd\%SystemRoot%\System32
exit

3.Open the Device Manager window.
After setting the above environment variable, you will now be able to see your old and no longer used devices in the Device Manager window as well.

Have a look at this to for code error 39, it's relating to your dvd or hdd drive.
Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Windows XP Professional

4.To reduce the size of the system hive, remove all unwanted hardware devices from the computer. If there is some problem with a particular device, you may have to uninstall and reinstall it on the system.
Note: After you complete the above step, it is recommended that you use a reliable registry cleaner tool to scan and remove all unwanted data from the registry. Next, compress the registry by defragging it by using the registry defrag feature.

If the above tasks do not enable you to resolve error code 49, you may be forced to reinstall the operating system to resolve the error.

To prevent driver problems from occurring on your computer, it is recommended that you maintain a healthy and compact system registry. You can do this with the help of a reliable registry cleaner tool. You must also keep your Windows and device drivers updated with the latest security releases and patches

I'm not sure if you misread, or if you're saying they're related Mike Fury, as I have error code 43 and you were talking about 49. But I gave it a go anyway, I got a new list of devices on device manager, though I don't believe they were physical devices as I wouldn't have any old devices I had removed, they were just related to software. I uninstalled some of the ones I recognised to be from older programs. I also cleaned the registry with Ccleaner, but still no luck.

Can I uninstall the driver for my graphics card with the device manager and then re-install it? I imagine once I uninstall the driver I will no longer be able to display anything on the monitor as the graphics card won't work at all. So I'm not sure how I could then re-install it.

I'm not sure if you misread, or if you're saying they're related Mike Fury, as I have error code 43 and you were talking about 49. But I gave it a go anyway, I got a new list of devices on device manager, though I don't believe they were physical devices as I wouldn't have any old devices I had removed, they were just related to software. I uninstalled some of the ones I recognised to be from older programs. I also cleaned the registry with Ccleaner, but still no luck.

Can I uninstall the driver for my graphics card with the device manager and then re-install it? I imagine once I uninstall the driver I will no longer be able to display anything on the monitor as the graphics card won't work at all. So I'm not sure how I could then re-install it.

I misread the code error by mistake, but yes you need to unistall the drivers from your computer, you will also need to uninstall the hardware from device mananger.
Once you do that physically remove the video card and give a it a break for the next couple of hours.
Test your video card in another computer and see if you have the same problems.
If you do that could be a problem right there, if not it's your pc registry that is totally actring up.
As a last resort you may want to back up your files, format and reinstall windows to see if the problem gos away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom