Beta member
I wonder if anyone can help me...

Initial Set-Up
CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.20 GHz
Motherboard: Intel Havre D845HV
RAM: 512MB SDRam
Graphics: 32MB GeForce 2 Ti (AGP)
Monitor: Compaq FP1706

Shortly after moving house and getting my antiquated PC up-and-running, it began to falter. A few minutes into doing anything graphically-intensive (i.e. playing a game), the display would suddenly turn into a garbled mess, and the computer would freeze - forcing me to reset.

Gradually, this problem became more and more frequent, occurring the moment a game started.

I had guessed at this point that, perhaps, my graphics card was on its way out. I gave the insides a good clean, blowing away the dust that had accumulated over a couple of years of sporadic use, but it did no good.

Eventually, the same problem started happening in Windows itself, and then during boot-up.

I have no integrated graphics on the motherboard, so couldn't try it without the graphics card. However, a friend had a 128MB GeForce FX 5200 I was able to borrow to see if the graphics card was, indeed the problem. This is what now happens:

Most of the time, when I first try to boot up, the monitor refuses to "notice" any signal, and goes into sleep mode. The computer sounds like it continues to boot up, but if I wait long enough it eventually resets itself. If I turn off the PC, and turn it back on again, doing the same thing with the monitor too, I can usually get it to boot into Windows.

If I try to play a game that uses the graphics card, the game will load but within a few seconds it starts to lag/freeze-up/hang, occasionally stuttering and then allowing a few more seconds of play until doing so again. Eventually I have to switch to the desktop or task manager and end the game's process, because it is unplayable.

Any ideas why these two issues are occurring? And any advice would be greatly appreciated. I had thought that using a 128MB card over the 32MB card would have made a huge improvement, but have I actually taken a step backwards?

Thanks in advance.

Possibly could be the MB on the way out, but it also could be the power supply. If it's giving low voltage the graphics card won't work too well, It might be attempting to do it, but coming up short on voltage (or wattage), It is a older system and these things have a limited life span, and it something might be at the end of it's life for working well, If your friend has a old PS I would give that a try, but with these older systems it usually ends up in a domino effect with one thing after another failing and may end up costing more than the system is worth to keep it running. But I would try a PS first and you might get lucky and keep it running for a little while. Best of luck.

Dauntae

Thanks, I will try that. I'm aware that my system is pretty old, and I am currently trying to make a decision on the spec. of a new PC - would just like to get the current one working properly in the meantime. But, like you say, it could be a case of replacing one part after another...

Sorry to hear this is happening to you T.T i'll help you bump a bit
-well http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/YeOldeMann/shot0000.jpg does the image look similar to this? If it does you may want to boot the computer into safe mode, then try reinstall your graphic card, including your card's driver.
- Make sure your not missing any pins from your VGA cord from your monitor cable.
- Make sure your graphic card is not overheating itself.
- Like Dauntae said, maybe your card isn't receiving enough power
- Last of all i know you might have this checked but still, check if all your cables are locked tightly.
Just out of curiosity which game are you trying to play? To be honest i think your graphic card may not handle the high demand needed for games recently.

Good luck =D

i also have the same problem with my pc, Mainboard is from wistron S86JA, Hitachi Buffalo Brand, P4 2.0ghz, 512mb ram, geforce 6200 PCI. from a well working system i installed the geforce 6200 as well as the driver and when it restarted the display will only show post and win xp pro loading up then its black and appears to be still booting for about 10, this happens after i installed the geforce 6200 card and when i tried to use the onboard video it after winxp loads up its black screen again, hope somebody could help me with this, tnx

Well first of all Welcome to this forum =D
I'm sorry i don't quite understand your question. Are you trying to tell us that your computer turns black after it loads the xp logo?And it started happening when you installed the GF6200's driver or when you just plugged it in?

Further to my original post. Would a 250W PSU be too low? And therefore causing problems?

i have a problem to my desktop pc... it boot up and after a few minutes it turn black and on again but it freez/hang.. when it reset my cpu my monitor did not respond but i hear a sound windows booting and continue to load...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom