Graphics card incompatibility issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurryMcFlurry

Beta member
hello :)

I just got myself a Gigabyte Nvidia 9800GT (GV-N98TOC-1GH). Been experiencing problems ever since however.

When playing games like CoD5 and CoD4 at resolutions above 800x600, the game goes on smoothly for awhile, until which it eventually crashes and well.. I can't turn it back on until i switch of the wall socket for a while and turn it back on again. And this goes the same for other applications which have some graphic requirements.

I'm guessing it's the graphics card because I've never had any problems when using my 7600GS.

Gigabyte S-series 945G-DS3 (rev 2.0)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
2GB (2x1GB) Kingston DDR2 667
Gigabyte Nvidia 9800GT 1GB DDR3
Samsung Writemaster Speedplus 16xDVD writer and reader
BenQ DVD3 16x DVD writer and reader
Maxtor 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB SATA
CoolerMaster RealPower 550W

I'm just wondering if the problem is related to clock speeds because my motherboard uses PCI-e x16 while it says "Supports 2.0 PCI-E x16" on the website (2.0 PCI-E x16 being one of the key features)

Thank you :D

PCI-E 2.0/1.0 compatibility shouldn't make a difference. Is there any possibility it's overheating? Do you have the latest drivers installed?

Did you make sure to REMOVE the old graphics card drivers and install the ones for the new card?

Firstly make sure, as Mak said, to remove the 7600GS drivers, or things go bad!!

Also, the 8800's and 9800's were known for running a little hot, can you give temps? At above 800x600, the game becomes less CPU bound and more GPU bound, which will make it load the GPU more and can make it run more hot.

Hey, sorry for the late rep guys.

Yeah i did some monitoring and i found that its the temp killing it.

101C during game *gulp*

Thanks for ur help :)

Not to sound like a noob or something but are there any good value for money cooling systems around?

Definitely! But before you go through all this hassle, make sure you don't have wires blocking the airflow of the card and make sure its not dusty.

After you do all that, here is my recommendation for the cooler: Arctic Accelero S1.

Make sure the fan comes on when you power on your computer.
Also, turn the fan up and post a screen shot of "HWMonitor".
CPUID

To take a screen shot of your desktop :

1. Press the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It may be labeled [PrtScn].

2. Open an image editing program, such as Microsoft Paint.

3. Go to the Edit menu and choose Paste.

4. If prompted to enlarge the image, choose Yes.

5. Optional: Use your image editor's crop tool to crop out unnecessary portions of the screen shot.

6. Go to the File Menu and choose Save As.

7. Navigate to the folder where you want to save the image.

8. Type a file name for the image.

9. Select a file type.

10. Click the Save button.

There is a huge possibility that your fan is not being spinned up when the temps on the GPU rise, just like what happens on my 8800GTS 512. Download RivaTuner and set the fan speed yourself, you will notice a BIG decrease in temp (and a BIG increase in noise :)). 101ºC is a tad too high though.

Definitely! But before you go through all this hassle, make sure you don't have wires blocking the airflow of the card and make sure its not dusty.

After you do all that, here is my recommendation for the cooler: Arctic Accelero S1.
Not to hijack the topic, but will this still work if no opening for air is directly above the card? If he doesn't have a opening by the card for cool air to enter, will it still work good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom