System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6400
EVGA 680i mobo
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked
2x OCZ 2MB DDR2
OCZ Gamexstream 700W
WD Raptor 150GB

Symptoms:

Initially games were crashing after use for a while. Sometimes games would crash without warning, other times they would lag, and sometimes there were weird skin and materials issues where skins would show up the wrong place (like faces appearing on walls... kinda creepy).

Now my computer won't even start. When the windows loading screen comes up there are weird pixelated dots running down the screen. When it finishes loading it goes to a weird screen with thing black and white lines going across the screen, with smaller pink and green pixelations patterned all throughout. The mouse also shows up in the center, but there are weird pixelations surrounding it.

So I'm pretty positive it's something wrong with the graphics card, considering it's all the typical symptoms. My computer is also rediculously dusty though. I haven't cleaned it for far too long. I did just take the graphics card out and clean it in a last attempt, but it didn't make a difference.

Is there any chance dust elsewhere in the system could be causing this issue? Either way I'm planning on taking everything apart over winter break, cleaning it, and putting it back together. I'm just wondering if something else could be wrong, or if I should go ahead and buy a new graphics card right now?

Thanks for any help,
EB

Wow, forgot to include the graphics card haha. It's a EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked, sorry about that.

Thanks for the welcome!

Temperatures have been fine. Computer doesn't load to desktop though, as stated in the symptoms, so there's no way I can download any temp programs and test now. All I can see is the temps on BIOS and they are average.

Interesting, I just read all about it, sounded promising, and my Graphics Card is now sitting in pieces in front of me. Thanks a lot for the idea.

Just gotta clean off the thermal paste and I'll bake it tonight. I don't have any thermal paste sitting around though so I'll have to wait till the tube of AS5 I just ordered arrives. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom