Graphics card fan - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Graphics card fan

For a few weeks now my computer has been struggling with some games. It started out just in one, the HL2mod Dystopia, and I thought it was a game problem. But its now spread to other games.
After a while, 20-40 minutes of playing, the video card would just stop giving out a signal, accompanied by the audio looping. I have now narrowed this down to the fact that the fan on my graphics card isn't doing anything.

I'm not really in a position to return the card, since I bought it off a (trustworthy) member of another forum I'm on, so I would rather get it fixed. The card in question is an X1900XT with the ICE3 cooler.

I've been looking at this cooler to replace it, though first I would like to see if it is the card or the fan which is at fault. I can see the 3 pin connector which goes from the card to the fan, but how would I go about testing it?

System:
E6600 overclocked to 2.7Ghz
2Gb ram
HIS X1900XT 512MB w/ ICE3 cooler
Soundblaster Xfi gamer soundcard
Windows XP SP2

Old 03-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Graphics card fan

Look at the temperature of the GPU core first. If its running extremely hot, you will know its the problem.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I downloaded ATI tools, its running at 70C idle.

Unfortunately, I'm now at home for 3 weeks, and so away from that computer. However, with a temperature that high, I wouldn't be using that PC unless I absolutely had to.

So, the fan isn't working. Is there a way to find out if its the fan itself that is broken, or if the graphics card isn't sending popwer to the fan, or something?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Pick up a Zalman VF900 for it (make sure its fits - it should). I doubt the card is the problem. You can use a normal 4 pin connection for the fan above so it won't matter any way.
Closed Thread