Graphics Card Failure - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Graphics Card Failure

Hey guys i wasn't sure where i should post this because it's already solved, more or less, and all i have left is a question.

Okay so this is the scenario. The other day, i was gaming late at night when my dad had shut down the entire power in the house to get me to stop. And, obviously, i did. but what proceeded the next day i am not entirely sure of why it happened, and what the problem is. I was just gaming during the day so everything should have been fine but in the middle of the game, everything would stop moving and all that was left playing was music. about 20 seconds later, the screen would turn all discolored and then i would end up getting the Blue Screen of Death saying that my Graphics card had failed. This problem had continued for the next few hours or so until i decided to switch PCI-e Slots. Right now it is running totally fine and hasn't crashed at all. Although, the only thing that has crashed since then was my game and nothing else.

My question is, is my graphics card on the edge and i should contact my graphics card company if this problem starts to arise again to try and get a replacement, or is it my motherboard and that the original PCI-e slot is damaged? I'm not quite sure what the problem is, especially since i could run it completely normal when i restarted the comptuer after the BSOD for about 30 minutes before the graphcis card would crash again.

my graphcis card is the XFX AMD Radeon 7970. Not Black Edition.

Thanks a lot guys.
flipp1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote