graphics card dieing?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2005, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default graphics card dieing??

Hi all. I have a few questions related to a problem that started yesterday. First my system specs

P4 3.2gHZ
Corsair PC3200 2x512MB
ASUS P4S800 mobo
Sapphire ATI x800xt
WinXP sp2
3 antek case fans (80mm)

System ran great for 11 months. Now, after about 2 minutes of load on my graphics card (EQ2/Doom/3DMark) the graphics become unstable and then the comp freezes and I must cold reboot. Sometimes when it freezes the final screen has alot of graphic corruption. Any non-graphic intense use and my PC runs fine. I am monitoring temperature and gpu fan with ATI tray tools during these episodes and I am hitting ~77C with fan running at 100% right before it fails. I verified the fan is running visually. I do not overclock.

I uninstalled all vid card drivers, ran driver cleaner and reinstalled the driver and still had the same problem. One odd thing I noticed is that when i open SMARTGart in ATI tray tools the AGP is listed current 0x and the slider set to off. When I move this to 8X and restart it gives the same reading in SMARTGart, still 0x and off. I verified that it is set at 8X in my bios and 3DMARK has it listed aas 8X in my system specs.

I am wondering if my video card is starting to fail. It is warrantied for another month at Newegg, but I dont want to send it back if the problem isnt the card. Any advice or suggestions? Is there something else I should try or check before blaming the video card?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-19-2005, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i would send it back anyway!!! it can't do any harm but it will hurt your wallet if you miss the warranty period. perhaps try underclocking it? if a graphics card is being troublesome sometimes underclocking it can give it a little nudge.

edit: p.s. be careful about double posting, and welcome to Tech-Forums

Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Unless their is dirt blocking airflow in your case / graphics card, it's probolly failing and I would send it back.
Closed Thread