Graphics Card - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Graphics Card

So...about a month ago I booted my PC (running Vista Home Premium) and I got a blue screen of death. I then booted into safe mode and I could get to all my documents, pictures, ect. and I made a backup of everything just to be safe . I also uninstalled the graphics card (because thats what I thought the problem was). I booted up normally and everything loaded up fine using the low quality graphics card built in.

After re-installing the good graphics card (GeForce 8600 GT) and rebooting, I got the blue screen of death again.

I brought it into the Geek Squad (ONLY because thats where the warranty I have is good) and they diagnosed the computer and said it was the hard drive, so they replaced it.

I got the computer back with the new clean hard drive and installed windows 7 on it. Everything installed perfectly, but when it came time for Windows to update, the driver was on the list for the Graphics Card.

Guess what!! THE SAME PROBLEM.

So, I guess what I'm asking is if you guys think the graphics card is the problem.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Graphics Card

Well to be honest it's not really a problem not unless the graphics tempature is high is constantly crashing when playing a game or when you turn on CNN and see what BP ****ed up this time... j/k abit about cnn and graphics card crash.

What you can do is go to the manufacturers website and see if there are recent new or stable drivers for windows 7.
To be point blank don't trust windows 7 update driver to make everything work and function properly, even microlost gets it wrong with certain hardware driver updates.

Try Nvidia's site first to see what driver can help, I wouldn't know first hand because I have been using ATI for the past 3 years now.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl

try testing your memory.

go to start menu, type in mem, Windows Memory Diagnostic should show up. run it as admin.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via ICQ to stoneys-nutz

Hello WhiteFlare,
Download this free app, it will clean out all the remnants of the old driver.

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

Boot in to safe mode and run the sweeper.

Reboot and install the new driver.

Go to the NVidia site and download the latest driver for your card and install.

Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Download and run this memory diagnostic software.
Run overnight, about six or seven passes.

If you continue to get BSOD's, go to C > Windows > Minidump zip up the files and upload them with your next post, you may need to save them to your desktop first.

Can you confirm that you have all Windows updates and service packs installed, also, the latest Chipset, and Sound drivers installed.

Hope this helps, good luck and post your results.
dont linger with your finger on the trigger
Closed Thread