graphic problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzyzx

Baseband Member
Hi everyone, recently, I notice strange white tiny dots flying diagonally accross my screen. Usually, they're not apparent, but in slightly contrasted screen, like grey or dark shades of blue, they're very visible and hurt my eyes. It's like I can see the refresh rate. Now this happen only after a several failed attempts at ocing a 6800gs (it was perfectly fine before, that's about a week ago). So I thought I killed the card and returned it. But after I got a new card, the problem persist, it actually got worse, the dots are bigger and more visible now.

First of all, has anyone encounter this before? Is it my LCD dieing or did I just got another defective graphic card as a replacement. Another culprit that I am suspecting is the power supply. I'm using a 350 W w/ 17a on its v12. I don't know if it's providing enough power total.

More info on the LCD: It is 17'' Norwood Micro (the generic brand that Compusa sells) . The screen have been bright as it always have been, no dim area is noted, neither are any other symptoms of a failing LCD.

The rest of my system specs to check for if power is the culprit:

Pentium D 805 (stock HSF at stock spd)
1 gb of ddr2 533
2 harddrives
1 DVDRW drive
1 6800gs AGP
No other extra fans are used

Thanks in advance

17a on the 12v should be fine provided you have sufficient wattage on the PSU, so we can rule that out.

Artifacts are 99% of the time caused by the graphics card. Run that funky ATI utility that cehck for artifacts (can't remember the name).

Try swapping out for another gfx card.

Does this happen all the time or just in games? does it happen in windows? does it happen before windows loads up?

Install the drivers for the monitor, you have it set on a refresh rate that isn't supported by the monitor. And he said he already returned his 6800gs and got a new one with the same results.

refresh rate is at 60 Hz, which is what it has been all this time. Also, this monitor don't come with any drivers. Window automatically recognize it as Plug and Play Monitor

FlashDude said:
Install the drivers for the monitor, you have it set on a refresh rate that isn't supported by the monitor. And he said he already returned his 6800gs and got a new one with the same results.

Doesn't change the fact that artifacts are 99% of the time due to the gfx card, if indeed what hes seeing are artifacts then its almost certainly the graphics card.

Once again I ask:
Does this happen all the time or just in games? does it happen in windows? does it happen before windows loads up?

What temperature is the 6800 running at?

zzyzx said:
refresh rate is at 60 Hz, which is what it has been all this time. Also, this monitor don't come with any drivers. Window automatically recognize it as Plug and Play Monitor

Then check the manual for the supported refresh rates, if its plug and play it will display refresh rates that you SHOULD NOT run at! Having a monitor run at improper refresh rates for prolonged periods of time will cause damage to the display.

This happen all the time: both ingame and in windows. I dont' see it in DOS boot. But maybe because everything is black.

Temp is 55 C at idle and max out at 74 during long gaming session.

AS for refresh rate, I have the video card driver auto detect refresh rate that the monitor support, they are 60/70/75. Ever since I got the monitor (more than a year ago), I have always use 60 Hz, I"ll try 70 and 75 and see if it fixes it. I'm gonna take my old CRT and see if it changes anything.

Good plan, hopefully we can eliminate the monitor.

Would you say what you're seeing is artifacts? can you egt a screen print? (that would eliminate monitor too)

try underclocking the card as well, might be its not getting enough power i suppose if you PSU does have a fault..
If so perhaps bumping the apg voltage would help.

uninstall you drivers completely and install an older set, see if that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom