Graphic Card Turns Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metr01973

Daemon Poster
Hi, I recently bought an EVGA 7800GS CO and I'm having a few problems. See original thread
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105222
I am now experiencing monitor/graphic card shut downs. I'm playing Oblivion and after a couple of hours the screen goes black and I get the message "no signal input" like someone has removed the monitor cable. The computer is still running and I have checked the temps on the CPU via an Asus motherboard monitor. This allows me to record the temps while I carry on playing and the temp of the CPU never goes above 60C. When the monitor goes black I turn off the computer count to 20 and turn it back on and as soon as boots (approx 30 secs) I check the GPU temp via the driver monitor (rightclick desktop/properties etc) and that's at 43-44C. Can the GPU cool down from 115C (the threshold) down to 43-44C that I'm seeing? Apart from overheating I don't know what else it could be. Has anyone else got any ideas? I have contacted the people I bought it off but no response as yet (but it is the weekend). The other thing I wanted to ask is, does anybody know of a GPU monitor that I can record the temps while I'm playing then atleast I'll be able to see what is happening. I've Googled it but no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thx

Yes, temps can change rapidly. I remeber i quit Prime95 and about 10 seconds later the temps went down quite a bit...

What i would do is record youre temps while your playing Oblivion then exit out and see how hot it goes. Try to put some AS5 on your GPU core, or clean out the dust/wires around it.

Also could try updating your drivers

could be a psu issue , whats your psu? brand/model
take a screenshot of asus pc probe (the monitoring tab of course)

edit did you connect the power plug to the card?

Right the PSU I think is a cheap one. I got my PC made for me and I picked out what I wanted like the processor, graphic card, ram etc and they did the rest. On the side of it, it says "COLORSit" and it's 550W. Model number: 550U. I don't know whether this is appropiate but it does say "switching power supply" on the side aswell as all the technical ratings etc. Please don't flame me if it is a cheap one, as I didn't know as much as I do now when I bought the machine. Here's the screen shot of the Asus monitor
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/Metr01973/?action=view&current=screenshot.jpg
and yes I did plug in the power. btw I've just flashed the BIOS to the latest version but it's too late to sit and play Oblivion for a couple of hours, so I'll give it a go tomorrow and post my results.

it defintly doesnt look good the +12v is way too low , and thats a cheap one indid, youll have to get a new psu , i recommend antec truepower 2 430w
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Antec_103.html (£51.64 Including vat) , and just FYI its not the watts that matters its the amper rating and of course the quality too , cheap ones are unreliable not to mention highly underpowered and when they fail in most cases they will take down other parts too , a quality psu will never do that

Thanks, just wondered if you could answer some of questions. Here goes
1: How difficult is it to wire in a new PSU?
2: How do I know it will fit my case, are they a standard size?
3: Will 430W be enough to power my rig?
4: And it says PCI Express graphic card power connectors, will I still be able to use this to power my AGP machine and the 7800GS?
5: Stupid queston now, after buying the 7800GS I'm skint, so can I increase the voltage on the PSU I've got until I can get a new one?
I've never wired in a PSU so any help will be greatful. Thx

you welcome :)

1) very easy ,lay down the case and in the back unscrew the 2 screws thats holding the door and open it, disconnect the main 20 pin plug and the 4pin from the mobo & disconnect the power plug from the graphic card & hds/opticals , in the upper back unscrew the 4 screws thats holding the psu , use both hands to hold it from bottom & top move it bit backward then up, thats about it on how to take it out the how to put it in is obvious

2) it will fit for sure , its standard atx size just like your current

3) as i alredy said its the ampers that truly matters not the watts , it will be more then enough

4) they will come handy if youll upgrade , just use a standard power plug for it

5) the voltages depends on the load placed by the various parts & how the psu handles it depending on its amper ratings , your psu is stressed nearly to the max , and its very cheap and underpowerd one too.. , you might be able to make it bit better by underclocking the processor & disconnecting power plugs from unnessary devices

Thanks Jeremy, that's helped alot. I've just put my old 6600 on Ebay and hopefully I'll be able to get a few quid for that to put towards the PSU you suggested. I tried Quake 4 tonight and the same thing happened so atleast I now know that it's not just Oblivion. I won't be able to get the PSU for a week or so, so am I able to keep playing my games? After the card has turned itself off is it OK to keep turning it back on, it seems to be OK just surfing and that, so I surpose it's when the card needs more power the PSU can't keep up? I don't really play a **** of alot but I don't know if I can handle a week or two without ANY games.lol Have to "borrow" my son's Xbox. Sorry just 1 more question, if I unplug my floppy drive, a DVD drive and a HD drive for now will that make any difference? Thanks once again.

probably not , im not sure if its ok. doing it constantly might eventually damage the card , the +12v is highly undervolted , so its not only that it cant handle the extra power the graphic card demands while gaming , it cant provide stable power even while not gaming , it will make a diffrence but not a big one i bet it will still be too low , you can still play games just make sure their very old & not heavy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom