GPU turns on selectively - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to GLaDOS
Exclamation GPU turns on selectively

Hi all,

I'm becoming desperate for suggestions to this. I have a GTX 780 GPU installed in my PC. For the most part it's worked fine. I moved to a new apartment and when I hooked up my PC nothing showed on the monitors. I opened my PC and inspected and noticed that when I turned on my PC, all the components turned on except my GPU (fans were not spinning). I reseated my GPU several times and finally it worked. I put the side of my PC case back on and the GPU stopped working again. I've had these results for the last several days, where the GPU would not turn on at all, I'd get it once then it wouldn't turn back on again.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I've been trying to get everything set up in my new apartment but this has taken up the last several nights after work and really held everything else up. I've close to just selling the whole darn thing.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: GPU turns on selectively

What PSU do you have?

Tried resetting BIOS to defaults, or checking for a BIOS update?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'll give BIOS a try. I think one time I tried taking the GPU out and plugging the DVI directly into the mobo DVI port. I don't think anything came up on the screen.

Full PC specs below:

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz / Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler / G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card / Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply / Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case
Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

I also confirmed: plugging DVI into mobo still shows no display. I took the GPU out of the system on that test.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Turns out I'm a dope - the power cable from the PSU to the mobo wasn't plugged in all the way...

Thank you so much for all your help!
Old 09-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
Turns out I'm a dope - the power cable from the PSU to the mobo wasn't plugged in all the way...

Thank you so much for all your help!
glad to hear it was something simple.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gpu; boot