GPU temp concerns - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default GPU temp concerns

My GPU is a BFG GeForce 7950 GT OC, with all stock cooling. It idles at 65c and when gaming it gets into the mid-90s, and those are with pretty high fan speeds. I did a case clean very recently--no dust--and the fan isn't clogged or blocked or anything. Any thoughts on (a) what the problem is and (b) how long the card will hold up like this?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: GPU temp concerns

Without a doubt that isnt good. Can only wager to guess what the problem is. But i would start off with 2 things.

1. It is summer and hotter. A hotter enviroment doesnt help keep the PC cooler.
2. Not getting enough air out of the case.

As for how long hte card will hold up. If you put it under load alot. It will most definately not hold up for as long as it would otherwise. Without knowing how old the card is and how long you have run it at these temps there is no way for sure to say how much longer it would last with those kind of temps.

Without a doubt running at higher temps hurts the device. Try installing RivaTuner to turn up the stock cooler on it so you can try to keep it cool.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

it will take some life off the card but these cards can run at high temps. Try working on some wire management, maybe adding some fans here and there, you may have to cut some holes for them though.
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just always have some eggs or bacon on top of it to dissipate some of the heat. That way your card is happy and you're never hungry!

Hehe you could always get a new heatsink for it.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I would turn up the GPU fan's speed percentage. My 4850 graphics card temp dropped 20C idle temps when I set the fan percentage from 20 to 60%.
Closed Thread