GPU power

iRaizen

Solid State Member
Hopefully i word this correctly so it doesn't sound confusing. I recently purchased an EVGA gtx 760 to replace my EVGA gtx 285. It requires a 6 and 8pin connector. I only have two 6pins connectors so i plugged in one 6 pin. I don't have an 8pin connector so i grabbed the two 6pins into one 8pin adapter that came with the 760 and popped only one 6pin into it and just plugged it in. My question is will only having one 6pin the two 6pins into one 8pin adapter have a negative affect on my card or rig.

Last edited:
You need to have both the 6 and 8pin plugged in at the same time for optimal performance. Some cards can run off only 2 6pin but you have to realize that the power differences between 6 and 8 is a 6pin is 75w and an 8pin is 150w. Only having 1 6pin plugged into the dual 6 to 8 adapter will only provide 75w when it needs 150w. You can run the risk of damaging components by doing that. Essentially, it'll be trying to pull that extra power from the 6pin.

I suggest purchasing one of these.
Athena Power Model CABLE-MPCIE4628 - Newegg.com

So i found a connector that came with my PSU. On one end its a 6pin and on the other end its an 8pin. Now i have that plugged in but im unsure if its giving my card the right amount of power. I downloaded GPU-Z and on idle it says its voltage is at 0.8870V. Not sure if thats average or not.

Back
Top Bottom