GPU issues need some serious help.

MrHabs

Beta member
Hi guys. About a year and a half ago I bought a Radeon 5770, and have had zero problems with it. About two months ago I decided to connect both my 32' inch Samsung up to and my monitor so I could watch movies from my computer. It worked great for about two days. Then everything went wrong. I'm not exactly a tech newb, But I am simply out of options and don't want to replace the card until I have eliminated all of my options.

Whenever I play.. Anything. This even includes CS source, I could play for about 30 minutes, to an hour before my monitor would go black. I would either get a white screen, or a screen with vertical lines on it, or a black screen. The computer does not freeze. And I can hear the game going on in the back ground. But I cannot terminate the application. My GPU temps max out at 57 degrees. No where near the TJMAX.

The things I have down to eliminate all options:

About 3 months ago I noticed that my GPU temps were spiking. So I took the card apart and realized the heat sink was completely blocked with dust. I cleared that off and applied a new coat of Arctic Silver to the HS. And that problem was completely solved. I took it apart again and the heat sink has no dust on it. I put yet another coat of arctic silver on it just in case. It had no heating issues. But I did it anyways. I re seated the GPU in both slots on my MB. And checked all of the connections. I did notice that one of the three plugs (I don't know the name) that are connected to the GPU power cords, are not seated in the white casing attachment. But either way it gets power. I've deleted and reinstalled all of the drivers. I tried to use 3dmark, but it will only go for about three minutes before the monitor goes black. I've re seated my RAM. And I am running out of options. The computer starts up fine now. Desktop is fine. Everything is fine accept for gaming.

My system specs are:

Radeon 5770 1gb GPU
4 GBs Ripjaw series RAM
Intel Core 860 2.80 GHZ Processor
P55A-UD3 MB
Windows 7 enterprise
MC extreme 700w PS

Keep in mind this ALL happened when I attached my card to my tv.

Thanks for your help.

The GPU is likely overheating or has been damaged in the past due to an overheat. If you are seeing vertical lines, something is likely damaged. Adding too much thermal paste or not adding thermal paste correctly can cause pockets of air to form that heat up at an insanely fast rate, damaging the card.
If possible, I would RMA the card.

Back
Top Bottom