GPU doesn't boot when using displayport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
Hello all,

I've been troubleshooting a problem on my pc since Tuesday. When I shutdown the pc the 2 digit lcd display on my motherboard lights up with the error 8.8. And when I turn the pc back on my 6950 fan spins at 100% and I get no display output. However the pc boots fine and I can use it through rdp. The error code displays regardless of power to the pc, I.e. it shows whether the power is connected to the psu or not.

Through troubleshooting the problem I've identified that disconnecting the displayport cable or unplugging the power from the monitor instantly turns off the error and the pc can then boot. The monitors work fine through displayport when connected to the pc when it is on. The pc boots fine when the monitors are connected through dvi. I've also tried different combinations of monitors and cables and as soon as a monitor is connected through diaplayport it shows the error code.

The problem didn't happen before Monday but the monitors were new on Friday. I'm now stuck for idea for what could be at fault.

Specs:
I7 920 at stock speeds
Gigabyte ud5
12gb ocz memory
Corsair Hx620w
HIS 6950
7 HDD
2X BENQ BL2400PT monitors connected through displayport.

Thanks for your help.

So as far as you know, the problem could have started on Friday, right?

Ensure it really is 88 and not 8B or 6B or something else. It is hard to see some times and a slight difference could result in looking at bad RAM to a missing ATX power connection on the motherboard. And while in there, verify all the necessary power connections are made and tightly secured and that the interior is free of dust.

I did find where others have had the same problem but there was no clear solution. One reset the BIOS and the other updated the graphics card drivers. I would ensure you have the latest HIS drivers first.

I shutdown my PC every night as I go to bed. It started back up perfectly on Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning. It read as 8.8. which could be interpreted as B.B.

The 6950 has dual BIOS, I've flashed one BIOS as a ASUS 6970 (did this on the 28th December). It is currently on the read only 6950 BIOS with the same problem.

You don't even need to fully plug in the displayport cable, just the outer metal coating pushed in to make contact will present the error code on the motherboard. I don't see how it can be a driver issue as it is outside of Windows control on the system.

Well the fact it worked fine over the weekend suggests the drivers "were" okay - but that does not mean something did not happen to them between then and now. You might try System Restore.

Does the monitor and computer get power from the same wall outlet? Problems caused by just the metal shield touching suggests a "difference of potential" and it seems to me they should be at the same "ground" or "Earth" potentials. All devices in a "system", whether computer, or home theater or whatever, should have a "common ground".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom