GPU Dead After Thunderstorm?

boomrq

Solid State Member
Hello, I just recently had a severe thunderstorm and the internet went out while my computer was still on.I have a Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT..After the storm I got back on the computer and started browsing when it immediately shut down. Now it will not start up while using the video card.The CPU, PSU, and motherboard are all working, but when I plug in the graphics card, I get no display.So here I am, running off of my CPU's integrated graphics.. :(I do plan to take this to Geek Squad tomorrow, but if there's any possible solutions right now, I would GREATLY appreciate it! :)-Boomrq

Try another GPU, you can get very cheap low end cards from the egg just to test to see if the slot fried. Geeksquad will screw you IMO.

Thanks for the reply. I found out this morning that my brother's laptop also got fried and is not working at all anymore haha! Yeah, everything's working but the GPU.. However the GPU still runs when it's plugged in. The fan on the GPU is working properly and everything, but there's no display. It's almost like my DVI to VGA connector isn't working or something. I have tried with multiple monitors as well.. Any ideas? :)

I'm currently using my onboard graphics right now.. I'll go and look for a cheap GPU. Thanks for the fast responses :)

EDIT: I'm still concerned about the graphics card still running while it's plugged in. This obviously means that it's working.. The fan on the card is running as it's suppose to, there's just no display on my monitor...

A GPU can be burned out, but the fan still operate. What would be damaged is the CORE of the card, or the Analog to Digital and Digital to Analog converters on the cards. This is why I suggest getting a cheap $15-$30 card just to test with that will work in your PC, if it in fact works, we can conclude your GPU it self is shot instead of the motherboard having PCIe/NB failure, and you can take the money that would have been spent on GeekSquad, and put that towards a new mid-range card that would suffice for your purposes.

You may also want to check inside the BIOS to ensure it is not shutting the PCI-e lanes for the x16 slot down in favor of having the integrated card running. In theory, if you have a small surge, your settings could be reverted.

This is why I suggest getting good looking new $25-$59 card just to test with that will work in your PC, if it in fact works, we can conclude your GPU it self is shot instead of the motherboard having PCIe/NB failure, and you can take the money that would have been spent on GeekSquad, and put that towards a new mid-range card that would suffice for your purposes.

Newegg.com - PNY VCGGT610XPB GeForce GT 610 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Even if your pci-e slot is dead, if the card will not post for it, and it is your fault technically, you'll start off new and we'll see about getting you a new motherboard.
I would not bother calling RMA support for your motherboard if I were you.
They wont want to help you when they hear the word lightning or they hear user end damage come from you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom