Got water on computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumpchang3

Solid State Member
Title says what happened to my computer, how I did it is another story
Dried my components as much as I could with a hair dryer and now it has no display and restarts itself every 10 or so seconds. There was one time it got to the windows loading screen but then it froze.
Tried using second video card but no luck either
I'd just like to see if anyone had any solutions before I throw in the towel for this computer.
Using my laptop so I'll be readily available to answers questions ASAP

Was Running:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Asus P5E Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
2x2 GB OCZ DDR2 Memory
Rosewill 950W PSU
3 Western Digital HD's
Sapphire Vapor-X ATi Radeon HD 4870 2 GB and Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4870 1GB

Any help is truly appreciated

That is unfortunate, sorry to hear you spilled water on it.

From my experience, it's good to air dry them for several days, probably around a week or two, just to be on the safe side.

Was it on when you spilled water on it? Did it shut off immediately? Chances are something has short circuited and fried :(

If the PC was on when you spilled the water on it then there's a good chance it's unrepairable. If it's still under warranty send it in.

That is unfortunate, sorry to hear you spilled water on it.

From my experience, it's good to air dry them for several days, probably around a week or two, just to be on the safe side.

Was it on when you spilled water on it? Did it shut off immediately? Chances are something has short circuited and fried :(

The computer was off when water was spilled on it.
Would it really take a week to see if the components are bad?

If the PC was on when you spilled the water on it then there's a good chance it's unrepairable. If it's still under warranty send it in.

I read that all ASUS motherboards have a 3 year warranty and I got mine about a year ago, so will ASUS still replace the motherboard even though I got water on it?

ASUS will fix it for ANY reason. If they find out that it is OK, in that nothing is broken, they'll send it back to you.

I would just let it dry for a bit longer..chances are there is a drop or two somewhere that you missed or something

my dad spilled a whole cup of coffee down into a CRT once while it was on..it instantly turned off...waited like 3 days, turned it on..bam worked fine...still using it to this day actually lol

ASUS will fix it for ANY reason. If they find out that it is OK, in that nothing is broken, they'll send it back to you.

That's a relief lol
I guess I'll send in my motherboard now as well as my PSU which just fried after I tested it on several computers
So should I tell Asus that water was spilled onto my computer?
/me crosses fingers that Rosewill won't find water XD

Good news is that my video cards are working which is a huge relief because I heard that the Sapphire RMA department was a nightmare >_<
My hard drives are working as well.
Which just leaves my memory and my CPU to be tested out. I've tried the memory on another board but it seems like the computer can't use that memory (ie: no beeps, no POST, no display) and the old motherboard that I have as a test machine won't support 45nm manufacturing tech.
I'm hoping I can actually sell my CPU for some money so I can put it into a new computer. I'm eying the i5-750 right now on Newegg XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom