got a shock; left mouse button no longer works

Status
Not open for further replies.

strugglepoo

Solid State Member
So this is kind of odd. I came back to my computer after watching a movie, turned on the monitor and decided to take my left hand (in retrospect, this is probably a bad idea) and wipe the dust off the screen, while my right hands index finger was placed firmly over my mouses left click button. I received quite a shock in my index finger, and now my left click button no longer works? Doesn't that seem kind of weird. I have reversed the settings so the buttons work backwards for now.

My mouse is a Labtec optical mouse. PS/2

I've also had past experiences with my mouse where the cursor won't move after a restart. The cursor is there, but the mouse doesn't move and the buttons don't function. It's been a while since I had this problem, so I don't know if this attributes to that. Also, a few instances where the mouse works properly, but the scroll wheel doesn't. But what a strange coincidence with the shock I received. hmm.. I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks

BTW, I already tried uninstalling from the device manager a few times. :(

It sure does sound strange. You could check out their web site. But id get a new mouse...

Yep. I even took it out and plugged it back in. Everything else about the mouse works fine except the left button. It still has a springy feel to it and makes a click. I don't understand why it would suddenly stop working. I don't think I'm able to open up the mouse seeing as there's no screws on it.

The thing about this odd situation with my mouse is that it randomly sometimes work, then sometimes doesn't, resulting in me rebooting a few times before it can work, so I'm not ready to rule out a faulty mouse here. Also, it works every time I go into safe mode, no questions asked, so there must be something else.. BTW, this problem carried on from my upgrade from 2000 to XP.

If all else fails, I guess I'll just opt to buy a new mouse.

Edit: Just tried safe mode and left click doesn't work. I think maybe the button could be worn out. Earlier on, coincidentally too, I was trying to clean the gunk between the lines of the left click button with my fingernail. Maybe some got pushed in or something, I don't know. Too bad I can't open this bad boy up to try and fix it myself. Oh well, new mouse it is, I suppose.

Yeah, I was thinking that. It seems like the only logical explanation. Talk about a case bad luck. :(

Something kind of like that happend to me last night with my keyboard,My computer did a weird flicker and my Q-A-Z button's didn't work any more :confused: Now i have to use my old crappy keyboard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom