got an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukem

Where am I again?
I'm formatting my drive now, but lately it's been giving me fits (before format of course) things like:

Winamp locking up
games lock up upon start up
I cannot restart the machine. I have to shut it down completely, wait about 20 seconds, then start it up again.
Nero Locks up
and all of this is after a little while of the system sitting idle. I checked all the jumpers, cables, etc... I even upplugged the IDE drive and left the sata burner only. something is causing this and it's giving me fits! I need some fresh thoughts. I'm loading everything now, and when I need to restart, I have to shut down, then start again... it sucks!
HEP me, HEP me... :)

First reading your post I wanted to call it a bad hard drive issue. But you mention these problems only kick in after some time with the system running. This is then most likely a heat issue. Check the temps for the processor to see if it is "normal" for your type of processor. If you built the system yourself, things like applying thermal grease to the heatsink and processor might have been done incorrectly or not done at all. Also check the temp for your motherboard in general, it shouldn't be as hot as your processor. More cooling could be needed. I don't think it is a memory problem as that would throw blue screens at you.

Just for good measure in case it is actually still a hard drive issue. Check the SMART status using a tool like Astra32 or Everest.

It happens when the computer is idle... the temps won't have anything to do with this. The computer would just freeze up totally or restart on its own if its a temp issue so that isn't the problem. I am sure its also not a HD issue due it only really happening when the computer is idle.

memory issues don't always throw a blue screen of death at you. I was thinking more along the lines that the ram can't hold the information (or other words getting discarged) after to long which would help explain y it does it only while its just sitting there doing nothing.

Welp... replaced the ram with another set I had, reseated the GPU, AND... reapplied AS5 on the CPU... still nothing... I'm getting the same issue. When restart, it appears that the hard drive goes idle, and the video does not start up. Like it freezes up once I restart. but once I wait about 20-30 seconds (seems to have to reset itself) everything starts up as normal.

oh god yes... here's the specs so you know what I'm working with

Gigabyte 965P-DS3 mobo
E6300 w/ZALMAN 9500
PNY 8800GTS
Audigy2 ZS sound card
2GB (was 4) G skill DDR2 800
WD 250GB Sata II hard drive
Coolmax 600W PSU
Sata DVD burner
IDE CD burner
Silverstone temjin TJ09 full tower

I was out for a while running around, once I can back after about 2 hours... Winamp still locks up, so I know it's not a software thing (I just reloaded the OS) it's not drivers that I can tell, so the only thing left to do is think about hardware... but I'm stumped now. Some apps still work after an idle period, but some don't, so I have no clue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom