Good PC which worked perfectly now lags a lot on startup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, yeah I was about to write that. First of all, turning off system restore, running CCleaner, making sure there aren't many things on desktop and the other stuff changed nothing unfortunately. Still took quite a while to get the PC started up.

My BIOS version is: P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n BIOs 1702

I've checked the Asus Website and there are 3 new BIOS versions;

1901: Modified the copyright date.
2004: Enchanced compatibility with certain memory.
2105: Enchanced compatibility with certain memory.

I don't think updating to any of those versions will change anything. My mobo and my RAM are perfectly compatible with each other, if not I would have had problems earlier, am I wrong?

Well, after talking with my IT teacher in school I have decided to procede like this:

Update BIOS first, and if that doesn't make any change, I am planning on wiping my hard drive clean with a FULL format. What do you guys think? He also recommended checking computer management to see if any of the hardware points to errors or conflicts. I am going to do these I think and see if it helps. Any other ideas are welcome, as I really don't want to go through the full format process again, I would really love to avoid that if you have any ideas.

Thanks

They having been giving you lots of good ideas..and you pretty much tell them that you don't think their ideas will work, Lol.

How about trying out everything they suggest before asking for more ideas?

Ehm, Purplesmurf, I may have sounded a bit ignorant at first, but I DID eventually try their ideas and I wrote back what happened, which was nothing, as I predicted earlier...Nevertheless because I didn't want to appear so ignorant, I tried the suggestions...But if you didn't see my feedback, here it is:

Turning of system restore: No change. I have little data on desktop, start-up doesn't have many programs whatsoever, I tried starting with safe mode, I tried formatting PC, etc etc...I've got nothing so far. So, I'm sorry if it sounds rude when I ask for other suggestions, but I haven't gotten anywhere with the previous ones. Thats why I ask again.

EDIT: BIOS Updated to latest version - NO CHANGE! :(

Hi again guys...

Look, I apologise if you think I'm arrogant, but no Ste, I didn't disable prefetch. As far as I know, disabling prefetch is for systems with low memory, I have 4 Gigs of RAM. And no, I did not disable my anti virus. I'm not going to run a PC without an antivirus for an extended period of time, because I have seen what happens to PC's which do so. I have about 5 programs starting up when windows does, and this is a very low number. I used to startup with many more programs, and everything was fine.

Also, I just read a couple of google results about changing page file, and people are saying that its practically useless to change page file on windows 7, especially if you have 4 gigs of ram....I'm really sorry, if I was you I would also say 'man, this guy is rude, or arrogant', but I've done my homework, and so I have come to the conclusion that a FULL format is my only hope. Thanks anyways...

This is what I found in your manuall for the "changing cpu speed" issue. We still are unsure if the changing speed is causing the lagging. Is there a chance you were running a different OS before the lag issue? or maybe a different service pack w\ your w7.64bit? I'm just trying to throw ideas out there to help. Maybe mak is right with the format using Gpart to format., bottom line, even a format, finding out why the changing cpu speed needs to be addressed. again my speedstep is disabled in my bios.

MWSnap005.jpg

MWSnap006.jpg

MWSnap007.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom