Good PC which worked perfectly now lags a lot on startup... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via MSN to Prisonbreak94
Default Re: Good PC which worked perfectly now lags a lot on startup...

Is no one able to suggest anything? I have collected some data and taken on some other advice from friends, this data might give you a better idea of my problem:

Memtest - 5 passes, 0 errors
Safe Mode 'minimal' services - Quick startup, but perhaps because it's 'minimal' services?

I timed a regular startup:

Time to pass welcome screen and see desktop: 35 Seconds (After 35 seconds, the desktop loads, no icons)
Time to load icons: 13 Seconds
Total time till I am able to start using my PC: Approx 5 minutes.

Now, am I exaggerating?

"Be the change you want to see in the world..."
Hot System
Case - Cooler Master RC-690 460W | Mobo - Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 1866MHz | RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition | GPU - Sapphire HD5850 Toxic | PSU - High Power 650W | HDD - Seagate 500GB 32MB Sata2 7200RPM | OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Monitor - Philips 22'' 220XW8FB
If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the scale under my avatar
Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Hardware degrades over time, just like anything else.

Its very possible that there is nothing wrong with any of the hardware and it cannot be fixed unless your willing to purchase new items.

My pc isn't as fast as it was when all the parts were new even after formatting, deal with it or spend money..

Thats the bottom line.

Though I would suggest a few things that "may" help.

Don't use an anti virus or any active scanning programs (Manual scan with hijackthis on malwarebytes once a month), set page file to a static 1512 MB, disable system restore. Look up windows 7 tweaking guides.
Have as little data on the desktop as possible, having large storage folders on the OS drive will slow things down, its faster to have them on another drive or separate partition.
Try disabling super fetch, or whatever its called.

Another option is to overclock.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks for your reply, Ste, but I don't think I should yet be looking to buy ''new items''. I got this PC just over a year ago, and when I got it I spent a lot of money on it, things are a bit more expensive here in Turkey, but it cost me about 1800 USD to get this setup, and at that time these components were pretty good. Yes, technology moves fast, but I'm sorry, ''hardware degrades over time'' does not explain why my PC takes 5 minutes to get itself into a usable state. Not even my sister's old laptop from 2005, or the terrible desktops at my school from 2005 or so, load this slow. So I don't think thats a valid answer.

I know this for sure, removing my anti virus software, or disabling system restore, or any of the other suggestions you made, are going to make little, if any, difference. I have only about 20 things on my desktop. It takes up less than 1/4 of my monitor.

But thank you for your reply. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Hot System
Case - Cooler Master RC-690 460W | Mobo - Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 1866MHz | RAM - 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition | GPU - Sapphire HD5850 Toxic | PSU - High Power 650W | HDD - Seagate 500GB 32MB Sata2 7200RPM | OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Monitor - Philips 22'' 220XW8FB
If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the scale under my avatar
Old 12-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

prisonbreak, you never came back with anything about the fluctuating of the cpu speed. my guess would be the speedstep. bios update or setting?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ste

Make sure you do the other suggestions I made.

Really, theres nothing you can do if you have done everything suggested here.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

Septic, what are you talking about? Fluctuating cpu speed?

Ste, I think there is some other problem going on here. I know for a fact, the things you recommend won't change a thing. I know it might sound ignorant that I'm not taking your advice, but since I formatted this PC when the problem first came up, and the problem continued to occur, I'm sure this has nothing to do with small tweaks like that. Sorry.

Hot System
Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ste

Youll never know until you try.

Its not as though you can't change it back..
Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Septic, what are you talking about? Fluctuating cpu speed?
fluctuating = constantly changing
Quote:
And why do you think my CPU Frequency constantly changes from 2GHz to 3.16GHz?
Quote:
Ste, I think there is some other problem going on here. I know for a fact, the things you recommend won't change a thing. I know it might sound ignorant that I'm not taking your advice, but since I formatted this PC when the problem first came up, and the problem continued to occur, I'm sure this has nothing to do with small tweaks like that. Sorry.
your firm on your beliefs, ah, formatting didn't touch bios. which is where 2 of us are curious if this is the fix.
be carefull updating bios. done wrong\ mb done.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks for trying to help guys. Ste, I just looked at the system restore properties. It seemed to suggest that the system restore files were taking up 56GB ? :O

I just clicked turn off system restore, I actually think that might make some change, I am going to restart my PC in a sec and see if the problem continues.

@Septic: I checked my bios...My bios is the same as it was a few months back. It hasn't changed, but maybe ''speedstep'' is enabled, I don't know. When I was going through the BIOS, though, I didn't find anything like that. If anyone knows about the BIOS interface that I have, perhaps they can inform me of where I would find such an option and enable or disable it, if it is there.

I'll be back in a few, and edit this to let you know what disabling system restore has done for me. Thanks for your help so far guys.

Hot System
Old 12-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie

we need to know what version bios you have?

in my bios Extreme tweaker > overclocking > Intel SpeedStep is disabled.
my AI tuning is set to auto.