Gigabyte MB and USB mouse problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistamoni

Solid State Member
I recently bought a Gigabyte P45-UD3P motherboard from newegg based on all the great reviews. I've had a P35 board previously, and it ran flawlessly... but didn't have enough sata ports for my needs. This board seems pretty nice with all the little extra things it offers. However, this is the 3rd day since I put together my PC, and I still can't get things to run properly. I am having 2 huge problems, and now I'm starting to think the motherboard has something to do with it. Problem #1, any accidental tap to the case freezes the OS (windows XP sp3)... and I have to manually reset the computer. I have a thread on this already here.

The second, and more common problem I'm having is that the mouse is freezing up on me randomly. There will be random times after use (whether it's 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or even a few hours) that the mouse just freezes on screen. The keyboard works fine, but the mouse does not. I am using a phillips infared usb mouse. The mouse is powered on, but it won't work. I tried to exchange it to another mouse (a logitech usb infared mouse), but same problem occurs. Now the obvious answer is to update the drives. I installed all the drives for the motherboard first from the dvd it came with. No help. I then tried to go online and find the drive for the philips mouse, but was not able to find it. I went to the mouse properties, and just did "driver update", and it found an update on it's own. However, once I clicked ok... the mouse was stuck forever. This time, no matter how many times I re-start, the mouse won't even move from the start. I restarted at least 4 times, same everytime. I went to the BIOS setup on the motherboard, and saw that USB mouse interface was disabled. I enabled it, but again, no help... the mouse would be frozen in the center, everytime.... with any mouse I tried. I gave up and just re-formatted my computer again (4th time now) and this time I'm not updating the driver for it. However, the mouse is still getting frozen at random times like before.

Anyone know why this is happening, and if it's just a problem with the motherboard?

To the first problem it most likely a short in the system somewhere, i would take the motherboard back out and make sure there are no screws lodged between the motherboard and backplate. Make sure the stand-offs are also in correct.

For the second i would recommend booting into safe mode and then rolling back the driver for the mouse that you installed. You do the roll back from the same page as the update driver button in the device manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom