Getting BSOD 0x000000F4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Getting BSOD 0x000000F4

Hello, members of Tech Forums

I found this place to be the right place to ask for help on what I'm having trouble with, so here it goes.

First and foremost, my setupfrom CPU-Z)

- Motherboard - Unspecified Manufacturer Model SiS-648FX
- CPU - Intel Celeron D 2.8GHZ (I know I know :P)
- RAM - DDR 1.5GB
- Video (GPU-Z) - ATi Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB
- HDD's - ExcelStor 80GB and External MYBook 500GB

My old IDE hard drive died recently, lots of clicking went on and all. So I replaced it with a ExcelStor SATA 80GB 7200RPM hard drive I bought from Fry's. I plugged it in, installed a fresh OS of XP Pro on it and it ran fine.

That same night, I played Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 with no problems at all. RCT3 is installed on my external, and I've been running games off my external for a while now, no problems.

So I tried playing it last night, it would stutter up. Sounds would also stutter, then it'd fully freeze. And eventually takes me out to the BSOD showing error 0x000000F4.

What I've tried to do was put another fresh install of XP in case some how it had errors the 1st time around. This time, it's the same thing. I tried running a game called Live for Speed off my external, BSOD. I copied the game over to my C drive, and ran it. Same thing, BSOD again. So I'm presuming both drives can't be the culprit, and it might be my video card?

So I downloaded the most recent driver, installed and it still happens. I'm now down to either it's my RAM or what ever, I don't know. Which in conclusion, me coming to you fellas for help.

BTW - I also ran CCleaner to check for my registry and all that. A lot of them came up, but I fixed the issues. Any other things I should run?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Getting BSOD 0x000000F4

First i would suggest MemTest86 to test your RAM.

Memtest86 - Download Page

As for the fresh install did you do a full format with the XP CD? If not do so.

the BSOD has many results. Check this search from Microsoft to see some results.

Search Results

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply.

I'll definitely try Memtest86 after I got a hold of a blank disc. And yes, I did a full format, not the quick one.

So pretty much, I'll come back with some results from Memtest after leaving it on overnight or so.

Just a quick addition, it froze up while I was surfing the internet now. On Firefox under multiple tabs that were open, around 4-5. So I guess it COULD be bad ram. We'll see.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

also you might have a nasty program called securom on your pc it caused my pc to crash all the time untill i reinstalled windows
Closed Thread