Getting ATA and SATA to coexist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I have a 120gb Seagate Barracuda ATA drive that I've used for the past several years as the only drive in the system.

Now I have intsalled XP to a 160gb Seagate Barracuda SATA and would like to put the old ATA back in as a secondary just long enough to copy all my old files.

What do I need to do to get XP to recognize them both at the same time while booting to the new SATA?

Right now the old ATA is booting first if it's plugged in and then the SATA will not show up in XP. (and vice versa if booting from the SATA)

Change the boot order, then in the OS, change the drive letter.

Chances are they've both been give the same drive letter, so when they're both in, depending on which one was booted to, the other will be hidden as a duplicate drive.

ShoobieRat said:
Chances are they've both been give the same drive letter, so when they're both in
drive letters are determined by the drives order in sata/ide whichever hd/optical comes first , its impossible for 2 hds to use the same drive letters when both connected

Ok now one more thing: how do I access my user folder under Documents and Settings on the old drive? It's giving me access denied.

Well, I believe you have to be an administrator to get to someone else's directory. However, if you removed all access rights except to that user ID, you'll have to boot to that hard-drive and release control.

its a permissions issue
in "my computer" menu goto tools-->folder options-->view and if "simple file sharing" is checked then uncheck it, then right click that folder and goto "security" tab and the rest is obvious..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom