Getting 2 ata 100 drives working using an ata 133 port

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJRobThaMan

Solid State Member
So, I'm in quite a pickle. I bought a motherboard that has 3 IDE connectors (up to 4 hard drives... awesome!!!) but only one of them is compatible with ata 100 (didn't know this until I spent all night last night failing to get my hard drives to be read).

Is it possible to somehow work around this to get the drives to be read through one of the IDE 133 connectors???

On the box (and the site I bought it from) it describes the two connectors as IDE 133/100/66 compatible. I thought this would mean that ata 100 drives would work with it. Not true?

Anyway, assuming they are ata 133 connectors, does anybody know what can be done?

Thanks a lot,
Douglas

PS. Here are the relevant specs if it helps.

motherboard: Foxconn 925XE7AA-8EKRS2 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 925XE ATX Intel Motherboard

hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3320620A 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive (have 2 of these)

If the IDE ports are 133/100/66, then they will work with the ATA100 hard drive (and will work with ATA133 and 66 drives as well). If it doesn't work, then something is probably wrong with your hardware.

That's kinda funny. I'm not sure about that because on the box the ports are described as 133/100/66 (don't have the box in front of me but now that I think about it I don't think it's 66... I think it's another number), but I went to the foxconn site and looked up the product number and it says it has 1 ide port for ata100 and 2 ide ports for ata133.

Assuming that the site is right (which would make sense because if I plug one of the hard drives into the port I have the cd drives plugged into, the computer sees it) is it possible to go into the bios or something like that to allow for the port to be compatible with ata100?

Thanks,
Douglas

So... I've been working at it for a while and when the system boots up it lists whatever ide devices are connected in a sort of menu thing for a half a second before it moves on to do whatever it does while booting. and it lists both my hard drives. but if i go into the cmos the drives are not listed there. do you know what my problem could be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom