Get "CPU changed" message at boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwilly-biker

Beta member
Before I left for work this morning, I used our PC, then turned it off. When I got to work, my wife called and said that during POST there was a message that CPU had changed - F1 to continue, or DEL to go to CMOS. She picked F1 which led her into activation of Windows XP. She could not proceed because connectivity could not be established. I told her to turn off the PC and wait until I get home.

More info about the PC follows, but my basic question is what could have happened. When I get home, it sounds like I won't have online support (PC not working). It sounds like a hardware issue perhaps, not software.

Windows XP Pro
DFI Ultra Infinity NFII motherboard
Athlon XP 2500 cpu
2 gig Corsair DDR

I had her restart the PC and read all the info on the POST. It indicates Athlon XP 1100, when in fact we have an Athlon XP 2500. Does this
indicate some sort of CPU or motherboard problem?

Thanks!

The number of AthlonXP processors seems to have some sort of coordination with the clock speed. I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, my AthlonXP 2400+ (2.0GHz) died, and they replaced it under warranty. However, it came back to Best Buy with an AthlonXP 2600+ (2.13GHz) CPU in it, but I think it only recognized as an AthlonXP 1600+. The guy at the Geek Squad counter changed the motherboard jumpers and set the speed up to 2.13GHz, and the CPU changed to AthlonXP 2600+. However, I could be entirely wrong, and it may have read AthlonXP 2600+ 1.60GHz, but I thought the number did change.

Check the clock speed of the CPU (see if it changed), and maybe look at the jumpers.

yeah that sounds about right. and also if he didn't do anything inside the case then the jumpers shouldn't have changed much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom