Generic Volume cannot be stopped.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somersand

Beta member
Hi! Sorry if this has been posted but here's my issue:
I'm having a problem in safely disconnecting my seagate 400gb usb external hard drive on my win xp laptop. I get the following error message: "the device generic volume cannot be stopped right now!
I read a few message boards that maybe Norton Protection and the recycle bin could be the issue however in researching the norton product I have (2006 Norton Internet security with Norton goback) it doesn't appear as though I have that option. In checking my recycle bin there is no Norton option.
Would anyone PLEASE assist me in figuring out what another cause of this error may be?
Can I just remove the hardware without doing the "safely remove hardware" way? Can I just turn the external harddrive off?
Any guidance/help would be greatly appreciated! I've spent hours on this already and I'm so frustrated!
Thanks in advance!

probably cuz
1) its in use by some program (for example media player.. or you didnt close the explorer window)
2) recycle bin ,right click "recycle bin" and click "properties" , select "configure drives independently" and get into the tab of that seagate/its partitions and check "do not move files to the recycle bin remove files immediately when deleted" , click ok

as for the questions , yeah but its not recommended , it can cause file curruption

Thanks so much for helping me out!

I made sure all my programs were closed and it still gave me the error!

I will try your #2 but when I did this previously no other tabs were there except, Global, C, and Drive D. (my external drive is Drive F)

I'm not too sure what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom