Generic Non-Pnp Monitor issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACofNoIdeas

Solid State Member
Comp Specs:
- Windows 7 (64 bit)
- nvidia GeForce GTX 460
- A Vizio TV connected to my computer with an HDMI cord (set as display 1)
- A Samsung monitor connected to my computer with a VGA Cable (Set as display 2).

I turned on my computer today and, for some reason, my resolution is now maxed out at 1280 x 720 as a default in Display -> Screen resolution. My Vizio TV has always been shown as having a native resolution of 1920x1080, but, for some reason, that caused a lot of the screen to go off on the sides. I had to make a custom resolution at (I can't remember the exact number) something like 1880x 900.

When I go to Display -> Screen resolution, my "Display 1" (Vizio) is now just called "Generic Non-Pnp Monitor". My "Display 2" (Samsung) is the same.

When I got to my Nvidia Control Panel and then Display -> Change Resolution I can select "Customize" and then apply 1920x1080. It works as it did before, but again, that resolution is too large for my monitor. When I try to make a custom resolution, at any numbers that aren't generic (like 1280 x 720 and 1920x1080) it tells me "Test Failed" and that my custom resolution is not supported by my display. I need to be able to set my Vizio back at around 1880x 900, but I cannot.

I have not installed anything at all on my computer between when it worked last night and when I discovered it messed up today.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my display driver, but that didn't help. I have also tried (another solution I found online) to unplug my power and monitor and let it sit like that for awhile and then plug everything back in, but again that didn't work.

This issue seems to have afflicted numerous people, and I see posts about it everywhere, but I have not seen a single answer.

Please, if anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated.

This might be a driver problem. Do you have the latest drivers for your card? If you have the most recent, get an older driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom