GeForce 7600GS AGP power supply issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default GeForce 7600GS AGP power supply issue

I just bought an XFX GeForce 7600GS AGP for my old Socket A Asus motherboard (A7V8X-LA). My computer just had a 250 Watt power supply so I went ahead and bought a new Thermaltake TR2-430 Watt PSU knowing I would need at least 400 Watts for the new card. Well, when installing the driver an Nvidia screen pops up and says my card isn't getting sufficient power and must decrease performance, so I just click ok and it finishes installing. Well, I definately don't want "decreased performance".

The card finished installing fine and is up and running and seems to be working great so far....I havent done a benchmark on the card yet to see what its running at.

My question is has anybody had this problem with a card or knows of someone who had the problem. If so, what can I do to get more power to the card and do I even need to do that since it seems to be running ok. The old Socket A 3200 AMD cpu I have isn't going to run any high end games even though I know this card probably would do an ok job at it. Any help or advice will be much appreciated...

Old 11-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Nightowl
Default Re: GeForce 7600GS AGP power supply issue

I got a evga 7600gs agp running along with a socket 478 on 300W psu thats from like way back in '04
7600GS agp card draws ~35W
TOTOAL system power consumption is only 135 watts top

so I don't know why your 430W isn't cutting it

try another connector?
Closed Thread