Gee, I dunno... bad RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snump

In Runtime
Well I ordered some RAM off ebay. PC3200 512 X 2. One stick is fine, but with the other one I get this. This is the second one the guy sent me and I think he sent the exact same one back thinking I wouldn't notice. I tried a different slot on the board too - same thing. I tried having only one stick in there and it was fine, but when I swapped sticks into the same slot - boom. Grrr...

first of the memtest86+ your using is very old retest with 1.65
http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.iso.zip the version your currently using may be way off , anyway from what i understand its a timings issue (and those 2x 512mb sticks arent the only ones you got..) retest with 1.65 when all sticks are connected and if they will still be unstable then its probably a timings issue ,play with the timings in bios and retest with memtest86+ after every change til youll get it right also set the timings to "optimal" if your bios supports it

jeremy said:
first of the memtest86+ your using is very old retest with 1.65
http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.iso.zip the version your currently using may be way off , anyway from what i understand its a timings issue (and those 2x 512mb sticks arent the only ones you got..) retest with 1.65 when all sticks are connected and if they will still be unstable then its probably a timings issue ,play with the timings in bios and retest with memtest86+ after every change til youll get it right also set the timings to "optimal" if your bios supports it

Why shoudl timings be an issie at all? I have everything set to auto, and this only happens with that one stick in there. When I put the ONE stick in there, I have errors.
I don't see how it can be anything except bad RAM.

when mixing diffrent rams (non identical) in alot of cases they dont have same timings and that creates an instabiltiy conflict as their all being forced to use same timings that may be too much for some of the stick/s thats why you gotta find the optimal timings for all to work stable , of course that if you tested only that 1 stick (when all others are disconnected that is) that defently rules out the timings issue then it must be a bad ram or the mobo dislikes it , so now your saying you later on tested only this stick when all others are disconnected or did i misunderstood? , btw you did download memtest86+ 1.65 right?

jeremy said:
when mixing diffrent rams (non identical) in alot of cases they dont have same timings and that creates an instabiltiy conflict as their all being forced to use same timings that may be too much for some of the stick/s thats why you gotta find the optimal timings for all to work stable , of course that if you tested only that 1 stick (when all others are disconnected that is) that defently rules out the timings issue then it must be a bad ram or the mobo dislikes it , so now your saying you later on tested only this stick when all others are disconnected or did i misunderstood? , btw you did download memtest86+ 1.65 right?

Yes I tried 1.65... I have an Award bios where woudl the timings settings be? I've mixed different brands of RAM before and never had this problem.

lol , i see alot of threads a day and cuz theres alot of new threads all the time i guess yours went to the second page and i forgot about it , anyway whats your mobo? i dont think its in the same place in every award bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom