I took the liberty to look up some stuff for you.
If you do have a SATA drive.....
"Xp cannot find hard drive on laptop re install?" on Yedda - People. Sharing. Knowledge.
Solved: XP cannot find hard drive - Tech Support Guy Forums
problem installing xp pro to laptop - [H]ard|Forum
<-- Espically read this.
Check to make sure this is the right driver.
This is the installation guide from the gateway site:
Note: Installation of this driver requires the use of a floppy disk drive. If your computer does not have an internal floppy disk drive, an external USB drive can be used instead.
Download the driver file to the desktop, and then perform the following steps.
1. If you have not already done so, locate and double-click the D00455-001-001.exe file that you downloaded from the Internet and execute the file. Files extract to the C:\Cabs\D00455-001-001 folder on your hard drive.
2. Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy disk drive.
3. In the C:\Cabs\D00455-001-001 folder, double-click F6flpy32.exe.
4. Click OK to start the disk creation.
5. The disk creation dialog box closes when the disk is complete.
6. During the installation of Windows you will need install this SATA controller driver. Press the F6 key on your keyboard to install a third party controller driver.
7. The Windows installation program requires the use of a USB floppy disk drive and the floppy disk that was created above.
8. The Windows installation procedure attempts to load the drivers twice; once directly after the F6 selection, and a second time after the installation files copy to the hard drive.
9. Select the "- Intel(R) 82801GH I/O controller Hub (ICH7DH)" option as listed.
Note: To find the required selection it may be necessary to scroll down even though there is no indication to scroll down.
Note: If you experience any recognition errors during the installation, please reference this Microsoft Knowledge Base article KB916196. This article explains which USB floppy drives are supported by the Windows installation process. A connected USB floppy disk drive does not work when you press F6 to install mass storage drivers during the Windows XP installation process
Supports: Windows XP
Note: This is the SATA hard drive driver for the Gateway notebook computer models listed below. This driver is needed during installation of a non-Gateway supplied operating system.
Make sure you read all the Forum links i posted Espically the one from Hard Forum.