Gateway DX 4870 and PNY GTX 650 Issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Gateway DX 4870 and PNY GTX 650 Issue

I have a Gateway DX 4870 that is being utilized for media in our church. It is a third gen core i7 with an Acer IPIMB-AR motherboard. I have need of a graphics card that can project three displays and recently purchased a PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (2gb). I currently have a PNY NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT that has dual display and has been working fine.

I have researched a number of solutions with many of them leading me to adjustments to the BIOS. Only one problem...none of those settings are available in my BIOS. I have flashed it with the most current version on the Gateway website, but with no changes.

I have thought of just returning it and getting something else, but my concern is that it won't accept anything else in the same realm. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. (And no...I can't just buy another computer...) Thanks in advance!

pastorrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Gateway DX 4870 and PNY GTX 650 Issue

You should be able to enable three monitors but you'll need to use Nvidia's control panel. You can update your GTX 650 driver and get the Nvidia software from Nvidia all from one single download. Be sure to uninstall all previous drivers and disable your antivirus before you install the new driver for the GTX 650 video card. re-enable your antivirus after the install is completed
Drivers | GeForce

Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, Joe, but I can't get the computer to even boot up once I insert the card into the motherboard. The screen locks into the black gateway screen with the bios option at the bottom, but when I say lock...I mean it won't do anything from that point. Are you saying that I need to uninstall the old card, drivers, etc. before I try to install the new card?
pastorrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorrichard View Post
Thanks, Joe, but I can't get the computer to even boot up once I insert the card into the motherboard. The screen locks into the black gateway screen with the bios option at the bottom, but when I say lock...I mean it won't do anything from that point. Are you saying that I need to uninstall the old card, drivers, etc. before I try to install the new card?
1.power down the machine.
2.Unscrew the gpu card from the motherboard if you need help ask one of your staff members.
3.Insert the new card, make sure its snug in the pci-e slot.
4. Stand the case up hit power, it should get past the bios screen.
5.Boot into your system install your gpu drivers like joe recommended.
Drivers | GeForce

Wait for the installation to complete and do one final reboot.
If you still have more issues drop by again and we'll do some more 1 on 1 Mr. Richard.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Remove the GTX 650 and re-install the 9800 for now. Download and run drive sweeper from here
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper
Shut down you pc (do not reboot), be sure to un-plug the power cord too. Ground yourself out on the pc's metal frame and remove the 9800 card and install the GTX 650 card in the pci/e slot like Rocket Man stated.

Be Sure That You Plug in the 6 Pin Connector from Your Power Supply in to the video card.

Reboot and see if you can get into windows, install the Nvidia driver/software and re-enable your antivirus
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

If that doesn't work you can put the old card back in and reenable the onboard graphics to use 3 monitors.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
acer ipimb-ar, dx4870, gateway, gtx 650, nvidia