Gaming rig trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Gaming rig trouble

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2.2 Ghz
1 Gb Corsair PC3200 DDR SDRAM
Seagate 80 Gb Internal SCSI x2
Western Digital 40 Gb HDD internal IDE
Vantec Vortex HDD Cooling System x2
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 W/ 256 Mb RAM
Plextor plexwriter premium
Chaintech ZNF3-150 Motherboard
Enermax 600w power supply
and last but not least

I've tried resetting BIOS through jumper, then loading fail safe settings. Sometimes it will boot and freeze, and for some reason it won't boot from cd without the 40 gig, but the 40 gig has 2 bad copies of XP pro and one bad copy of Vista. Installed 1st copy of Windows from a recovery cd that came with the system (used at a pawn shop) on the 40 gig, but is froze 10 or 15 mins after 1st boot after installation, so I tried again, and it just locked up during install. Vista was an upgrade, and since the first bad copy WAS installed completely, I figured I could upgrade to one of the 80 gigs and format the 40. Jumpers are right, RAM is reseated, cd rw works fine, SCSI reads to motherboard but not windows. Windows is corrupted, and I feel like screaming at this thing. I can't even boot past the POST to get to a formatting option for the 40 gig unless the 40 gig is there, but it is corrupted, and boots to a bsod. I caould theoretically boot from cd and install to the 80 gig, but is won't let me boot from cd with the 40 connected. I'd like to know which component is bad, so I can replace it and move on with my life, but the problems I'm having seem to be utterly random. Help?

Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Gaming rig trouble

I'm not sure if you did this or not but I would start by removing the SCSI HD's and leaving only the 40gig, boot from either your windows CD or your HD utilities CD and format that sucker. I've never been a fan of SCSI (SATA FTW) but during a windows installation it asks you to install drivers for SCSI HD's and if you don't do that it can cause some unforeseen problems.
Closed Thread