Gaming, Computer locks up! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Techist Member
Default Gaming, Computer locks up!

I have a dilemma.
My system is a pretty high end system that i had built last year:
AMD 6000+ X2 Dual Core
Gigabyte S-System AM2 Motherboard
4 GIGS GSkill DDR2 800 Ram
320GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Driver
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB w/ Thermalright HR Heatpipes/Heatsink & Thermaltake 90mm Fan
Antec TruPower 550W Power Supply
Tritton AXPC 5.1 Surround Sound Headset/Mic

It has been working fine since recently. I will be playing Call of Duty 4 or other games on my Computer and it will randomly lock up. Sometimes I can have it sit for a while doing Alt+Tab or Ctrl+Alt+Del and I can get it back within like 15 minutes or whatever, but if I do that, then it starts locking up at the simplest of things like checking e-mail (It'll lock up for like a minute). I restart and it seems to act fine.

Today, I haven't used my computer all day, went into the game and about 20 minutes later it locks up. At the moment, I was getting 155FPS. I ran a stress test for an hour on my CPU and RAM, both remained fine and came up 0 errors and 0 warnings and temperature never passed 60C on the CPU.

So I am looking for reasons what they heck could be wrong with my computer? Oddly, I think it could be my headset, just because when I go into games or what not, my sound messes up (Becomes really staticey) and I need to minimize and then maximize and the sound becomes okay. A $60 headset shouldn't do this, but I updated it's drivers and it still does. Regardless whether or not that is the problem, it still is stupid.

Please give me some advise. I have some money to work with here to replace something, but if I need to, I would like to replace the problem and not do trial and error with my money on a good system.

3DMark FireStrike Ultra: 4,266
3DMark FireStrike: 12,043

• Intel Core i7 920 Overclocked 3.2Ghz - Megahalem Cooler
  • eVGA E758-A1 X58 Intel LGA 1366 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • MSI Armor OC 8GB GeForce GTX 1070
  • eVGA 650W G2 Modular Power Supply
  • Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower Case
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
  • Corsair Force LE 250GB SSD
  • OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD
Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Gaming, Computer locks up!

Well first i would take the headsets out of the picture. Remove the drivers and then for a day and see if the system locks up. If so then it is something else. If not then you know the headphones were the source of the issue and have to find out from the manufacturer why the drivers are locking up your system.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread