Gaming computer and effects of age - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Gaming computer and effects of age

The CPU does not change the GPU's rating. They are separate of each other. All your CPU does is reads what the GPU is performing at.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I replace cpu's so often it doesn't seem like a chore to me. But then I build computers for fun. I'm kinda sick that way....

Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
The CPU does not change the GPU's rating. They are separate of each other. All your CPU does is reads what the GPU is performing at.
hmm? I'm confused because 3dmark 06 gives me 4 scores total. One score is the total overall score, which I assumed to be your combined CPU and GPU performance, the next score is the SMS 2.0 and 3.0 which I assumed to be your GPU score, lastly the 4th score is the CPU score. So I was under the impression that the scores for all the graphic cards were the total score since they were so high.

update: last night I discovered my CPU score was 1,000 points lower then it was 2-3 years ago but my SMS scores were similar, so it has to be the CPU thats causing the decreased performance right? Could anything have caused this?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

so i figured out the problem and it was because I noticed my new cpu score was almost exactly 25% lower which made me suspect my processor was actually running at 266 x 9 = 2.4 ghz instead of the OCed 3.0 ghz it once was. I went to the BIOS and confirmed this, somehow over the course of the year the clock settings of 333 x 9 = 3.0 ghz were not being used because the "CPU Host Clock Control" was reset to disabled. I have a p35-ds3r motherboard with the latest firmware. I guess maybe a black out or a computer crash can reset these settings? Anyways my new score in 3dmark06 is 14643 ( cpu score 4627, sm 2.0 score 6149, sm 3.0 score 6142 ) once I reset it and this is my highest score ever! Anyone know why the OC can reset like this?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You have the latest firmware or "Bios Update" for your mobo. When the bios is updated it often resets to the default settings. If the mobo battery is weak/glitching/dieing it can reset the bios to the default settings. Some, but not all, bios will reset to the defaults if an overclocking error occurs.