Games run slowly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noak3

Baseband Member
Any game I try to play lags insanely, even on the lowest settings. I have a decent computer: I got it in 2006 and it was decently high-quality then, so shouldn't it be able to play some games on a high quality?

Specs:
HP Pavilion a1540n
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+, 2.2 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
Memory: 2048 MB
Hard Drive: 250 GB
Optical Drive: DVD RW LightScribe Double Layer 16x Drive
Operating System: XP Media Center 2005 Edition

Does anybody know what the problem is? It annoys me that I can't play games that were released in 2005 <_<

What games are you playing?

The video card unfortunately is extremely outdated so it's understandable that none of the recent games will run well on it even on the lowest settings.

That is not a "graphics card", that is the onboard graphics chip. To run these games you will need to install a discreet, or separate, graphics card.

HP doesn't list what wattage your PSU is, but it is most likely a 250 or 300 watt. Depending on the card you choose/buy, you may have to upgrade your power supply to run it. If you look through the specifications for graphics cards on Newegg, you will see that many list the minimum wattage recommended for the card.

So, basically, your main limitations are your budget and your willingness to crack the case.

Alright, I thought it was the graphics card.
Any reccomendations on what card I should get?

Which one, though?
Price should be less than $500 and a card that's good for gaming.
This topic just got hijacked into a "TELL ME WHICH C4RD!@11!1!" topic. Sorry. <_<

If $500 is your max then get an 8800GT for sure, you'll be very underbudget, but highly satisfied for $240-$250. If you want lower, go for an HD3850, or even cheaper maybe an X1950PRO.

Any of those cards will put that onboard POS to absolute shame. It's like comparing a tricycle to a 911 Turbo...

Aside from Crysis, an X1950PRO will probably have you maxing out, or very close to maxing out most games at medium resolutions.

The 8800 gt or gt pro in my opinion is the best card for gaming, but as TROTTER said, check your power supply, anything over 450 Wtts should do. That is if you are using only one hard drive, if two hard drives then go 500 or better. If you are in a budget then go for what Merkwurdigliebe says, "x1950pro. Very good card.

With $500, you can do both the card and a power supply, so no problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom