Games freezing/locking up...AGP card only recognized as PCI? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Games freezing/locking up...AGP card only recognized as PCI?

Ok, first problem I encountered. Whenever I've tried to play a game in the past 5 months or so, the game always locks up or freezes. It's hard to explain. The best way to put it I guess is that stuff moves, but only every 10 seconds or so. Graphics that are supposed to be there aren't. These games have worked before though, which is weird.

Now, my graphics card is the GeForce FX 5200, and my motherboard is the Biostar P4M80-M4. Both are AGP 8x compatible from what I've read on numerous sites. I did have to replace my motherboard back in January. The motherboard that was in here before then worked with these games until I stopped playing them a little over a year ago.

I was clicking around on the computer last night and noticed that the computer is saying that the graphics card is plugged into the PCI slot 1, when in reality (and by looking at this I can verify it), it's plugged into the AGP slot on the motherboard.

Now, first off, is the video card and the motherboard compatible together for AGP? Would this solve my problem? And why is it recognizing it as plugged into the PCI slot when it's clearly not? The RAM isn't an issue or anything, like I said, things have played fine before.

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: Games freezing/locking up...AGP card only recognized as PCI?

WOW thats strange
Did you try reinstalling the mobo drivers and GFX drivers?
are you completley shure the mobo and the GFX card are compatible?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Games freezing/locking up...AGP card only recognized as PCI?

The mobo drivers are a little wacky seeing as the Biostar website's download section, all links are dead.

I installed the newest GeForce FX 5200 drivers, didn't work, then read that the older drivers were actually better, so I went back to those, still didn't work.

As far as I know, the video card and the mobo are compatible.

I'll take a screenshot of the screen saying the card is plugged into the PCI slot when I get home tonight.
Closed Thread