Games Crashing when AC adapter/Mains power plugged in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Thanks for the replies!
Well, the 'good stick' I have in now has only been tried in the second slot, whereas my other RAM stick, which in slot 1 failed to boot up at all, and in slot 2 worked for a while, but froze on shutdown. I'm a bit hesitant to put this stick in the what I think is the 'bad' slot in case of the event that it somehow messes up my good stick.
I did have a little go with booting up a game with this good stick in (with the lowest specs due to only have 2GB ram now) just to test It and it did still freeze...so I'm not sure if it has caused electrical damage to something else on my computer...device manager and all that jazz says that everything is working correctly, but I never think I should trust it :/

It won't ruin the good stick unless the bad slot would actually be shorting the chips out; but you could tell this by seeing burn marks or some physical evidence on the bad stick.

If you're worried your good stick is going back, run a Memtest86+ ( Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool ) on it, like I previously suggested. Firstly though, I would try putting the good stick in the other slot just to see if its a slot or a memory problem.

Edit: Also, a link to RAM that would workfor your laptop if you decide to order a new kit of two 2GB sticks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231156

It won't ruin the good stick unless the bad slot would actually be shorting the chips out; but you could tell this by seeing burn marks or some physical evidence on the bad stick.

If you're worried your good stick is going back, run a Memtest86+ ( Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool ) on it, like I previously suggested. Firstly though, I would try putting the good stick in the other slot just to see if its a slot or a memory problem.

Edit: Also, a link to RAM that would workfor your laptop if you decide to order a new kit of two 2GB sticks: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBSQ

I checked the slots and the stick and there's definitely no evidence of burning or anything like that- both the sticks still look new. I put the good stick in the first slot (the one I thought was 'bad') and its was running ok. Though on task manager, I did notice that on idle, in that 'bad' slot, my good stick was using 1.3GB/1.4GB without any programs open. Whereas, it was using around 700MB when in the 'good' second slot. It the second slot however, it did crash about 2 hours into use, but I was using Photoshop, and on task manager, pretty much all my RAM was being used up with only the 2GB in, so it probably just froze due to it having no more memory to use. Vista doesnt seem to run too well, or too fast, on only 2gb. So now ive currently got the good stick in the 'bad' first slot, and the 'bad' stick in the second slot where it worked before (but this stick didn't work in the first slot) and I havent actually had any freezing (yet) but I am only using firefox. With both sticks in, it says I'm using 40% of my physical memory. Im not sure if it would be worth getting 4gb sticks, or at least 1 4GB stick to go with my good 2GB stick (even though they cost a leg). Basically, right now the sticks are in the other slot to what they were originally.
Though I'm just hoping thats the only problem, as my computer seems to be using a hefty amount of its CPU most of the time... I'll let you know if it crashes or anything, thanks

Vista is a real memory hog and that is well known. I suggest upgrading to windows 7 for better performance :) However if this is too expensive just get more RAM and you should be fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom