Game Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Game Problem

Ok.
So when i go into games my entire PC locks up i have to hit the restart button on the front of my case. I think i found the problem. My cpu is 120 F out of games. Like when im we browsing or playing music. basic stuff. I also think my RAM is possibly faulty. It's a 512 stick of Veritech (thats been 2 computers). Anyway, I orderd a new stick of OZC 512, a new heatsink, and a 120mm fan to put in my case.
Do you think this will work?
I was guessing it was a heat issue if it is then do you think that will help it?
It's not a graphic card problem. I had a BFG GeForce FX5500 the fan stopped spinning so i bought a PNY GeForce 6200 and i also have the 77.77 drivers for the card.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

it might do 120F is 50C right? thats not too extreme to crash but you can get that down to 35C with a better fan or lower. I once got my old AMD K6 to 100C!! my cpu fan broke and i didnt know now that freezes the computer!.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yeah its 50C, but thats just idle/web browsing, music, ect. During games im not sure exactly its temp. but im sure it goes to around 60-65C. If its not a heat problem im pretty sure it might be RAM. Im getting a new stick of OCZ 512. If the new CPU heatsink/fan or the new RAM then im not sure what the problem would be. Motherboard? Possibly my new graphics card. that could have been faulty.. Oh well i orderd the heatsink/fan and the stick an hour ago..
Old 09-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

well it could be a heat problem wait till your new fan arrives before playing games. And for your ram just chop and change sticks till you find a problem with 1 if there is one. Make sure your PSU can handle your graphics card. Update the drivers to 78.01 too. Also update your motherboard chipset drivers.

download everest:

http://www.lavalys.hu/products/downl...?pid=1&lang=en

It`ll tell you your CPU,graphics card and hard drive temps and also your fan speed.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well i have a 480W PSU. I have everest. thats how ive been checking on everything. i havent updated my chipset driver yet. i guess i can try that too.
Closed Thread