In game lag/freezes RAM related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roweder

In Runtime
I've had random freezes in game for a while, and I never thought much of it, I just assumed it was just a small overload for my graphics processor until I came across a review on the RAM that I have installed in my computer (Corsair Dominator 3x2gb DDR3 1600).

The review said that this RAM gave him freezes in games when he combined it with other brands of RAM and when he used this RAM alone. He also said that he was using this RAM with a ASUS P6T SE board which is similar to mine and both are intel X58 boards.

All I'm wondering is could using this RAM be causing my periodic game freezes? They don't happen that often. I always assumed them to be lag or some sort of game software problem or insufficient graphics or something like that, but I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks that it could be my RAM.

The hardware I have is:

ASUS Rampage Extreme III
ASUS ENGTX 480 1536MB
Corsair Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600
Intel i7 930

I've had these screen freezes in-game on more than one hard drive, so it's probably not a hard drive issue.

Please let me know what you think, I have a feeling that it's just insufficient power, but please let me know if it could be a RAM problem

Check your RAM with Memtest86+. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot with it. Run it for a good 6 hours, overnight perfered.

Also, please use HWMonitor, and keep it on while gaming. This will tell you the max temps. Getting a freeze could be do to overheating.

Thank you for the quick reply,

I have used HW monitor, and I know that my graphics aren't overheating, my card usually maxes around 95C, and my processor never goes more thank like 5C above air temperature, but I have not looked at RAM temperatures.

I will run it again and see what the maximum RAM temperatures are, and what is a good website to get Memtest86+ from? I'm kind of afraid of scams, there are so many imitation websites out there now. My sister's laptop recently had to be reinstalled because she "installed a plugin to play a TV show" on a fake website

Thanks

-Derek

Edit: RAM temperatures are not showing up in HW Monitor, is this normal? I don't see voltages for the RAM either

thanks, is the RAM's temperature supposed to show up in HW Monitor?

Edit: i have to pay for the memtest?

Another Edit: saw your edit about HW Monitor, thanks

Ok, I played Modern Warfare 2 for 30 minutes while running HW Monitor. It did do it's lags a little bit, they're like the screen has frozen then recovers, it will stay frozen anywhere from .5 to 3 seconds, but it never shuts down after them, it just continues as if it was internet lag, but there is a clear difference between them and internet lag and they will happen when I'm host. They don't happen that often, but when they do they always continue to happen one after another every minute or so. Does this sound like a RAM issue to you? Do you think it would be unusual for my setup to be insufficient for MW2 in 1920x1080?

The temperatures were normal, except something (Analog Device ADT7475, I don't know what that is) went up to 376F

here's a screenshot:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/roweder/30min11-3-10temps.jpg

Edit: Is there a free version of Memtest available?

Does the test itself take 6 hours?

It'll come up and show you errors. What is your power supply btw? How many Watts is it and what make?

This may be a PSU issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom