FX-8120/HD7850/M5A97 Rig Super Sluggish - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Benevolent Cake Despot

Default FX-8120/HD7850/M5A97 Rig Super Sluggish

ASUS M5A97
AMD FX-8120
AMD HD 7850
8GB Kingston HyperX
XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition (single rail 62A)

I put this together with all the parts being on special and being much cheaper than the Intel/Nvidia alternative. I understand it's not the ideal choice of parts, and I am half-regretting not going for 2500K + 560Ti build, but I digress.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate edition, installed all recent updates, all drivers are up to date. The thing is sluggish as hell. My Q6600 + 8800GTS seemed to run with more fluidity, albeit, I stuck to a 32-bit OS. I've been trying to test out some very basic things, like playing Crysis Warhead/Wars, and it freezes and locks all the time, although it does run relatively okay for 30-45 minutes. It always takes a few seconds for things to load that should normally only take a fraction of a second. Even web browsing is surprisingly sluggish. I have issues with almost any kind of functionality, video playback is sketchy, start up is not very smooth, lag occurs every so often, and so on.

Performance monitoring shows huge processing peaks in the cores that jump sporadically. I read bad reviews for the current FX series, but I dismissed that as being nitpicks catering to the benchmarking community. I'm starting to be concerned with my choice. I'm also inclined to believe that perhaps the motherboard doesn't lend full support out of the box for the processor and requires a bios update. Any thoughts?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: FX-8120/HD7850/M5A97 Rig Super Sluggish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkwürdigeliebe View Post
ASUS M5A97
AMD FX-8120
AMD HD 7850
8GB Kingston HyperX
XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition (single rail 62A)

I put this together with all the parts being on special and being much cheaper than the Intel/Nvidia alternative. I understand it's not the ideal choice of parts, and I am half-regretting not going for 2500K + 560Ti build, but I digress.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate edition, installed all recent updates, all drivers are up to date. The thing is sluggish as hell. My Q6600 + 8800GTS seemed to run with more fluidity, albeit, I stuck to a 32-bit OS. I've been trying to test out some very basic things, like playing Crysis Warhead/Wars, and it freezes and locks all the time, although it does run relatively okay for 30-45 minutes. It always takes a few seconds for things to load that should normally only take a fraction of a second. Even web browsing is surprisingly sluggish. I have issues with almost any kind of functionality, video playback is sketchy, start up is not very smooth, lag occurs every so often, and so on.

Performance monitoring shows huge processing peaks in the cores that jump sporadically. I read bad reviews for the current FX series, but I dismissed that as being nitpicks catering to the benchmarking community. I'm starting to be concerned with my choice. I'm also inclined to believe that perhaps the motherboard doesn't lend full support out of the box for the processor and requires a bios update. Any thoughts?
If its that sluggish even the screen resolution glitches up, it would probably have something to do with your current catalyst suite.
Which version do you have by chance ?
AMD Releases the Catalyst 12.4 WHQL Driver | techPowerUp
Also make a quick check to make sure you don't have too many start up items in the way during boot time.
What antivirus/security suite do you have and is it on full time while gaming ?

Those are somethings that will make somethings very unpleasent for you.
I wouldn't blame the 8 core just yet, until we have figured out your system itself is not the problem.
Closed Thread