future computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertconley619

Baseband Member
Hi Everyone, I wanted to know what everyone thinks of this computer build that I will be doing within the next 2 years because it is a lot of $$$$..............

AMD FX-57
Abit Fatal1ty AN8-SLI
4 gigs of OCZ Titanium ram (2x1 gigs in dual channel, timings are 2-3-2-5)
4x500 gig Hitachi Deskstars (not sure what type of raid)
2x BFG 6800 ultra oc 512 mb version
Leadtek PVR2000 tv tuner
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition (to prevent the headaches of my last post, and if any of you can help me out check out the link) http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68548

Like I said, it will cost me some serious $$$$, but I would like to hear other people's opinion about it

No point in all that high end products. It will be obsolete by the time you finish it. 64-bit systems are starting to emerge along with 64-bit Operating Systems and Software. The FX-57 is 32-bit. and do you really that much space? Waste of money IMO.

this thread should be in the "building, buying or upgrading" section
anyway, Nvidia has 7800 GTX's out now.
ATI are coming out with a new video card, and both Nvidia and ATI are also making cards better than the 7800 GTX and what ATI's next release will be.

you can SLI 2 7800 GTX's, or you can wait for the new cards to come out (although it could be a while)

I wouldn't get the Fatal1ty board, the DFI NF4 Ultra-D's are currently the bet motherboards. especially if you're overclocking.

also, there's a fault in there. 4GB is not 2x1GB. you'll probabbly only need 2GB RAM anyway... at least for a few years
although if you want RAM speed over more RAM, G.Skill makes some really highly clockable RAM. they make RAM guaranteed to hit 300MHZ (DDR600, or PC4800)

also, I'd consider the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (dual core) instead of the FX-57. while the FX-57 is really powerful, the 4800+ has 2 cores. even when only doing single tasking, it is almost as fast as the FX-57. but when doing multitasking, it is MUCH faster.

personally I'd get the 400GB drives from Seagate. Seagate make a much more reliable drive than Hitachi
although, I must say you're probabbly not going to use THAT much space just yet. okay maybe in future, but it'd be worthwhile to just add more hard drives when you actually do need them. by then they'll be cheaper too.

SHAWN said:
No point in all that high end products. It will be obsolete by the time you finish it. 64-bit systems are starting to emerge along with 64-bit Operating Systems and Software. The FX-57 is 32-bit. and do you really that much space? Waste of money IMO.
the FX-57 is also 64-bit.
and there's no way that system is going to be obsolete until at LEAST 2-3 years. and it would probabbly be because a new video card has some new feature, that games adopt which make the SLI'd 7800's, "behind the technology" despite being really powerful (and also keep in mind this is about the worst that can happen). but still, the Geforce 4 Ti's were considered very good for a long time

It's good, however you may want to get the 7800GTX instead of 2x 6800's.

And, only get 2 gig of ram. 4 is unnesscary and windows doesnt exactly like it.

whoops im bad, i thought i put it the building, buying or upgrading section. anyway what i meant by the ram was i would have 2 pairs of the 2x1 gig sticks. and i also forgot to add in the first post: I was going to ask which video cards to sli but you already answered my question already. But I know that seagate make more reliable drives but I was looking at more space rather than reliabillity. I also was considering the dfi board, but the reason i chose the abit board was because it doesnt have the onboard audio built-in, so you can choose if you want to use it or not and not have to go into the bios and enable or disable it. (I know im lazy) but I got a few questions for you:
1. what is the main difference between the dfi board and the abit board besides money?
2. would a sata-150 hard drive work on a sata 2 connection?

Ok, I agree, 7800 GTX's blow the 6800's out of the water, but I thought the more memory a card has, the better it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom