Funny power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
I recently bought a new HP Pavilion in a box at staples to replace my other aging computer. All was fine and dandy until I realized it only had an integrated video card...

So I opened it up and looked at what available slots it had, and I noticed a two PCI-E x1 and one PCI-E x16. So I went back up to Staples and looked at video cards for the PCI-E x16 slot, and ended up picking up a PNY GeForce 9400 GT 1024MB card. I came home, plugged it in and it didn't work... I did a little troubleshooting and determined my power supply wasn't adequate (I had a 250Watt). No problem, I figured I just needed to upgrade the power supply and I would be good to go. The VC required a minimum 300 watt supply.

I ordered a new supply online and I got it today (400 Watt). I carefully matched the new wires with the old wires to make sure everything matched. I even made sure it turned on before I screwed the PSU into the case. It worked perfectly.

I powered it down happy that it worked, took the old supply out and put the new one in. I powered it up again... it was fine. Then I powered down and unplugged everything to put my video card in. After making sure everything was plugged in nice and tight, I powered it back up with the new video card. It started up but no signal... I realized I forgot to plug the power cord from the VC to the mobo. I plugged it in and the restarted.

I got nothing. The computer turned on, then turned off and kept repeating this until I unplugged it.

So I removed the video card and tried powering up again. Nothing. All it did was start up for a second then switch off... it kept doing this until I unplugged it again.

So then I plugged in my old power supply, and it doesn't work either... it does the same thing.

I know my way around my computer pretty good, but I'm by no means an expert. Does anyone know what the problem may be here?

Double check all your power cables. Did you disable the integrated video in your system bios. Have you tried resetting the bios?

Ya, I went into BIOS before hand and changed the primary video adapter thingy to PCI-E x16. I still need to get it to turn on first, I'm afraid I fried something. The video card is the least of my concerns, I just want it to turn back on :(

First things first, remove all items to see if you get a beep code, everything except for the cpu, heatsink, and motherboard and psu, see if it powers up and stays stable, next put the RAM in, and keep going, there is atleast one part that can be causing it to do this. It can really be anything, also look around on the motherboard for any fried chips or pieces....

I took everything out except what you said to leave in... it still starts and turns off. Nothing looks or smells burned. The power supply light stays on while it's doing all this.

edit: and I get no beep at all. I reset the BIOS too.

Odd... Seems like the mobo could be shorting out to ground... Go ahead, and carefully remove everything from the case, make sure you are grounded at all times, even with the hummid air here in PA right now static can still be a pita. Once everything is removed, set it all up on a wooden surface and try to turn it on, that will rule out the motherboard or something shorting it out to the case...

I guess my concern would be, could my mobo be fried? I'm going to try what you said to do... but this computer is brand new and I'd be pretty POed if its shot already...

Well I got it to stay on... I took the whole **** thing apart down to the mobo and took it apart bit by bit and reassembled it bit by bit. Now the power it stays on!

... but I have no video.

Thats my next pickle.

If shot, and it had no void stickers, piece it back together and get a replacement if you can. But the not having video may be the bios still sending video to the card... It is possible that card is bad and is causing issues.

What config do you have it in that it stays on? Complete stock? Or new PSU/GPU? Also what brand PSU????

I took everything out except what you said to leave in... it still starts and turns off. Nothing looks or smells burned. The power supply light stays on while it's doing all this.

edit: and I get no beep at all. I reset the BIOS too.

No beep at all is a bad PSU or MoBo.. I've learned thru experience.. Just make sure it has a speaker built in first.. LOL. .

One of my boards went out after I first installed my liquid cooling.. we blew the case out GOOD with an air compressor before starting it. I thought it was the PSU, but it was the board. I still don't know what happened.

Another thing, see if the board has a CI sensor.. Case Intrusion.. HP may use it for warranty reasons.. But if it were a CI issue, it wouldn't fire up at ALL after..
And the BIOS PDA Setting for PCI-E Slot 1 should be PEG, on Phoenix BIOS.

And all it takes is one little shock, drop of liquid or for the power cord to accidentally be connected to mess something up.. I accidentally fried a GB board I JUST GOT BACK from RMA when I did a CMOS reset wrong.. Talk about embarrassed and ashamed. That's why you don't mess with the rig when you're drunk.. lol..

Well I finally gave up and took it to the repair shop. I got the power to stay on, and I figured I got that far, I was gonna cut my losses and cash in with what I had. It was beyond my expertise at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom