Frozen MB Startup Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone; thanks for all the replies.

TaBryan09: I checked to see if my "C" drive needed a defrag, but after analyzing, it said that "...You do not need to defragment this volume", so it looks good there.

I checked the application log, but nothing jumped out (unless I'm missing something). here's a screenshot:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/ApplicationLog.jpg

The one yellow warning symbol you do see there on August 19th....that happened before this "freeze up", and besides, I don't think it had anything to do with it; the details said: "Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by another application......."

And I think I agree that it's not an OS problem as it didn't get past the splash screen.

bmxfreakrider: Tomorrow I'll take off my case's side panel and check all of my connections and make sure they're secure & snug, especially the HDD. Who knows....it could be the teeniest bit loose, and sometimes if that secure connection isn't there, then that connection isn't made, and the HDD can't be accessed.

I haven't changed my boot options, they're HDD 1st, CD ROM 2nd, then Floppy 3rd.

And oh.....I don't leave any flash drives plugged in.

And carnageX: You mentioned about clearing he CMOS. In various systems I've built through the years, I've done this. Usually the way I do it is to short those two pins by touching them with the tip of a screwdriver. But is removing the CMOS battery the more preferable way?

How about the CMOS battery itself? Could it be "bad"? I've never purchased one before because in previous system builds I've had, they've always lasted. If I went to my local PC parts retailer, is that something that's a "standard" size? As in "one size fits all"? or would I have to give them a model number or something?

And yes, I know about just having all of the basics hooked up (RAM/CPU/GPU). That is pretty much what I have. The only extra add-in card I have is a TV tuner card (sound card and LAN is integrated into the MB).

Well, the system booted today, so the problem wasn't repeatable. But tomorrow I'll still check out all of my connections and make sure everything's secure & snug.

But please let me know about the CMOS battery. Could it be going "bad" and it wouldn't hurt to replace it?

Thanks,
Pez
THe CMOS battery could go bad. If you have a multimeter, test to see what it's putting out for voltage (should be 3v). If you want to replace it, just go to any electronics store that carries coin batteries. There should be a number on the battery itself (normally they're CR2032 batteries). As for which way of clearing CMOS is better...it kinda depends. Sometimes removing the battery is better, and sometimes shorting the two pins together is the better (sometimes required) way on some boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom